Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Sunny Day in Nashville

Just as a better sample of my writing - here an old Facebook note from this past January:
 Took a walk at lunchtime to take photos and basically just enjoy a rare nice winter day. Walked from my office at Sixth and Charlotte down Deadrick Street to the Public Square Park. Just outside my office building, I took a couple of pictures of a pigeon. Took some pictures of the relatively new public art pieces.  Went to the top of the observation deck.  When I got to the top, this guy was up there sweeping.  He was saying something, but I had my earphones on and I didn’t hear him, and anyway he didn’t appear to have been talking to me. A couple (man and woman – smartly dressed and young – by my standards) came up right behind me.  I took pictures of buildings downtown, the river and back toward my office etc. The couple left before I did. As I was getting ready to go back down, the guy who had been sweeping said something, so I took off my earphones to listen to him.  He said (referring to the female half of the couple), “She was fine wasn’t she.”  I agreed. He said he had been furtively checking out the woman. He didn’t say furtive, but he mimed it.  Then he asked if he had scared me but then realized I had had my earphones on. He said he thought he had scared the couple.  He  said he had yelled “Goodbye” to Jeff Fisher toward the stadium.   I walked back down to the surface, crossed over and walked down to First Avenue. I took some pictures of the Cumberland River and continued along the sidewalk down to Fort Nashborough. Backtracked to Church Street and started back uptown from there. Took a few more pictures. A man in a truck asked how to get to the Stockyard Restaurant. Christy and I used to eat lunch there sometimes when we were first dating, but I haven’t been in years. I directed him in the right directions (he had a print out he was following). Continued back up Church Street to Printer Alley. Took some pictures as I walked through the alley and over to Union. Walked up Union. Finished up a Starbucks gift card with a Latte – ran into a friend and co-worker at the counter. Returned back to the office.

On my walk, I was listening to songs from my Covers playlist and here’s the list:

  1. Yacht covering X
  2.  Jason & the Scorchers covering Hank Williams
  3.  Sister Double Happiness covering Roky Erickson
  4.  Jason & the Scorchers (again!) this time covering Neil Young
  5.  Johnny Cash covering Steve Earle
  6.  Ernie Isley covering the Cars
  7.  Johnny Cash (again!) covering Neil Young (another song)
  8.  Chris Isaak covering Bo Diddley
  9.  Michael Feinstein covering Joni Mitchell
  10.  The Telescopes covering The Velvet Underground
  11.  Marshall Crenshaw covering Richard Thompson
  12.  Todd Snider covering Peter Case
  13. R.E.M. covering Roger Miller

The person who can name the most songs wins a prize...*

*prize in this context is more of a conceptual thing really… odds of winning are .000000001/100000000000000000

No comments:

Post a Comment