Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Country Fried Rock - Offers a Sweet Compilation for a Great Cause

Okay, here is the deal.  I love musicians.  I'm not a musician, but I love music and  despite what a few people think, music isn't music with out musicians. So, I do what I can to support musicians.  I'm not wealthy so I can't often drop tons of money to support bands I love. One of the reasons I started this blog was as a way to give back to the bands and songwriters and singers and guitarist and bassist and drummers and cellists and (well you get the point) who have enriched my life. 


Unfortunately, we have lost too many great people too soon to suicide.  Suicide is always a complex issue.  Often mental illness and addiction are involved.  These are complex problems.  So complex that many of us who have been touched by it feel powerless to help.


Right now, you can help.  Our friend Sloane Spencer who runs the always amazing Country Fried Rock show has curated this awesome compilation which is available now at Noisetrade (the widget is below). Because it is at Noisetrade, the compilation is free, but because it's at Noisetrade you can leave a tip.  You should (but maybe don't) do that anyway, but this time you really should.  All proceeds - that's 100% - are going to go toward Nuci's Space 


Nuçi’s Space is a non-profit health and music resource center in Athens, GA. The aim of the organization is to prevent suicide by providing obstacle free treatment for musicians suffering from depression and other such disorders as well as to assist in the emotional, physical and professional well-being of musicians.


So, it's a great cause, and an amazing compilation and yeah.





I'll leave you with a video montage of some of the great musicians we've lost to suicide:




Jim Ellison of Material Issue

Mark Linkous of Sparklehorse

Stuart Adamson of Big Country

Owsley (Will Owsley)

Phil Ochs

Kurt Cobain of Nirvana

Michael Hutchence of INXS

Robert Quine (Lou Reed, Tom Waits, Brian Eno, Richard Hell)



I could go on....  Go get a great compilation, skip a Venti Starbucks or two and donate to this great cause.




1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for such a beautiful post about why we all care so much about supporting the musicians who make music for us. I appreciate your support for Nuci's Space so much.

    ReplyDelete