Well, it's Friday again, and we've reached what will likely be the final Morning Shuffle of 2012. As I mentioned yesterday, I loaded up my new memory card with a random sampling of my digital music collection. I left some space for all of the great new music to come in 2013.
UPDATE on Band of the Year Voting: As of the time I am writing this post, we've had in the neighborhood of 1750 votes. Brooklyn based The Disappointment are holding a 5% point leave over Skeletons in the Piano who are from Upstate New York. Currently, New York band The Great American Novel are running third. You've got a couple more days to vote. Voting will end just before Midnight (Central Time) on Sunday December 30. Also, we need about 200 more votes to surpass our total vote count for last years inaugural Band of the Year poll. So keep the votes coming. Here is where to vote: CLICK HERE
Now for the shuffle which is pretty mind-blowingly eclectic and includes some songs I probably heard for the first time today. After the JUMP!
Amazingly all but one of the songs were available on the widget and the one that wasn't was a cover and we got the original on there.
1. Clap Your Hands by The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band from The Wages (2010). (Rural Indiana Blues) I noticed that four Facebook friends Liked this band's page including two friends from my hometown, a Carnie (of Black Jake and the Carnies) and a member of The Imperial Rooster.
2. Walk On by G. Love from The Hangout Music Fest 2012 Sampler - from G. Love's 2011 album Fixin' to Die (Hold the Special Sauce)
3. Virtue and Wine by Sondre Lerche from Faces Down (2002) (A Goodwill Store find and a damn good album)
4. Saturday's Child by Steve Almaas from Trailer Songs (2012) (Ex. Suicide Commando/Beat Rodeo: songs recorded in two airstream trailers in the Catskills - I've been a huge fan of Steve Almaas for years. This is a great record which we told you about right after it came out).
5. She Floated Away by Husker Du (umlauts omitted 'cause I'm too lazy to add them) from Warehouse: Songs and Stories (1987) (The sixth and final album from the post-punk legends - completing a Minneapolis themed set of two songs - this is a Grant Hart penned song)
6. Dinner by Blood Orange from the Dinner Btw Bad Girls single (2011) (Dev Hynes aka Lightspeed Champion aka Blood Orange - well crafted electronic based R&B music)
8. Black Picket Fences by Walking for Pennies from Forget About Wonderland (2012) (awesome Mo-Grass music from one of the bands in our Band of the Year poll)
(Couldn't find a video for Black Picket Fences so how about a Radiohead cover?)
9. Wave Goodbye by Ty Segall Band from CMJ Mixtape - June 2012 - from Ty Segall Band's Slaughterhouse (2012) (awesome garage punk music from San Francisco with rat-a-tat-tat drums and hard guitars - coolness)
10. Wake Up (Live in NYC 9/23/10) (Arcade Fire cover) by John Legend and the Roots from a download only release (2010) (Cool and funky cover of the Funeral single - The Roots are by far the best house band on television).