Monday, February 25, 2013

Monday Morning Music Shuffle - Producer with Computers Mix



Well, it's Monday.  This morning we have eight songs that cross over genre lines, decades and degrees of popularity/obscurity/awesomeness. Taken individually, the songs featured are sure to evoke feelings of nostalgia, joy, revulsion and confusion. Put together as a single shuffle, they are sure to amaze and amuse in equal measure.  Oh heck, here's the shuffle dig on it if you will....  Jump first!

  • "I.O.U." by The Replacements from Pleased to Meet Me (1987)



"You see I want it in writing, I owe you nothing"  As documented in Tommy Womack's song about the band, seeing The Replacements live was a hit or miss proposition.  They could either be the greatest rock and roll bands ever (which in fact they were) or the show could be a complete shambles. When the band rolled into the National Guard Armory in Nashville, TN on the Pleased to Meet Me tour, Rex Silo, Boyd and I drove up from Cookeville and witnessed one of the best shows I've ever seen.  By this time, Slim Dunlap had replaced Bob Stinson. I remember it being incredibly hot in the building, and I still remember the exhilaration of heading out of the show and beginning our drive home.
  •  "I Should Have Known" by Foo Fighters from Wasting Light (2011)

"Damn my heart gone deaf" What to say, this is big-time rock music from the former Nirvana drummer.  Dave Grohl is now also a documentary filmmaker whose directorial debut is the 2013 film Sound City.


  • "Adult Living" by Slug Guts from Playin' in Time With the Deadbeat (2012)
 
"Every time I need you I just stay up gone" Noise rock from Brisbane, Australia. This was from Slug Guts third album which was released last July.
"She puts the sweetness in and stirs it with a spoon" The 1969 classic from the eponymously titled debut album by the British progressive rock band as performed by a couple of modern iconic singer-songwriters part of their cover albums collaboration.
  •   "Built to Rock" by Red Hot Rebellion from Red Hot Rebellion (2012)
 
"She don't care about the latest trends She don't care about your stupid friends" Real honest to goodness ROCK music from this Dayton, Ohio trio.  Yeah!
  •  "Rockin' the Suburbs" by Ben Folds from Rockin' the Suburbs (2001)

"shake your booty while the band complains" I don't really know why I like this song so much, but I do.  Ya'll don't know what it's like...
  • "When I'm Stoned" by Tipi Valley from Beautiful Sunrise (2012)


We love Tipi Valley.  This is from one of two EPs he put out in 2012.  Some awesome shoegazey rock from Swansea, Wales UK.  The video above is for a different Tipi Valley song.
  •   "Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again" (Bob Dylan cover) by Cat Power from I'm Not There (Music from the Motion Picture) (2007)

"When Ruthie says come see her/In her honky-tonk lagoon/Where I can watch her waltz for free/'Neath her Panamanian moon" A great cover of a great song from a great soundtrack to a great film. What else can I say.  Cat Power rules!



-->

No comments:

Post a Comment