Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Wednesday Morning Music Shuffle - Sam and the First Day Mix



So... I've been feeling the need to work on some of my own creative pursuits - not that Ear to the Ground doesn't use my creativity - and to that end, I began a short story???? something that I have given the working title of Sam and the First Day. That's all I'll say for now... 

Our friend's The End Men have once again pointed us 
to a number of great bands. Here's one, KR-3 from Wheeling, WV.
 

 Now to the shuffle:






  •    "Isolation" by Joy Division from Closer (1980)


"Surrendered to self preservation, From others who care for themselves." Just about the perfect song for walking alone in the city on a dreary windy day. We listened to the song from the 1995 Joy Division compilation called Permanent.
  • "Feast of the Heart" by Jesca Hoop from Hunting My Dress (2010)
"And there's a light switch baby you turned it on Don't you ever leave me here in the dark" Jesca Hoop is a singer-songwriter from Northern California who was more recently based in Manchester, England.  Hunting My Dress was recorded in Manchester after she moved there. Her music has garnered praise from Tom Waits, and she has toured with Peter Gabriel.
  • "Ain't the Madonna, Ain't Your Whore" by Ali Holder and the Raindoggs from Red to Black (2011)


Raindogg (our friend Rob Porta) has made some great music over the past few years.  You may remember My Medicine, the silky soulful cover of the Snoop Dogg song with then lead singer Larissa. After Larissa and the band parted ways, Ali Holder came in and Red to Black is the fruits of that labor.  The Raindoggs are currently doing some awesome stuff with new singer Kassy Key down in Austin.  Check them out.
  • "Mountain Man" by Crash Kings from Crash Kings (2009)

 
"I bet they feel it just the same"  Crash Kings are an L.A. rock band.  I don't know too much about them except that they released their debut album in 2009 and are expected to release the follow-up some time this year.  They play rock music without guitars.  So there's that.  I kind of dig this song.





-->

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Joe!! You may (or may not) enjoy this version as well. http://youtu.be/VZT-WF6AFUE

    ReplyDelete