Friday, March 8, 2013

Friday Morning Music Shuffle - Beggars Caterer Mix



 Hey ho!  It's Friday, and the sun is shining here in Nashville.  Due to time constraints, I usually only post the 3-5 songs which I shuffle during my walk from the parking lot to the office. I usually also shuffle up some songs on my drive in. Even though I don't have time to do a full post on these "extra" songs, I've decided to include those songs in today's YouTube playlist which is posted at the bottom of the post.  As always, I try to find the exact song on YouTube and when I can't I try to find an interesting or relevant video by the same artist.  

Today's pre-shuffle shuffle includes music from:  Lambchop, Al Jolson, Chad VanGaalen, Owen Pallet, and Radiohead (covering Tim Buckley).

The Shuffle Shuffle is after the JUMP:


  • "AnnaRexia - Bill Laswell Dubmix" by Marla Mase from Speak Deluxe (2013) 

This is the second Marla Mase appearance in a Morning Shuffle.  This time, we have one of the extra tracks from the Deluxe edition of Mase's album Speak.  AnnaRexia has a pretty awesome reggae sound, and this Dubmix by the legendary Bill Laswell is amazing.  If you don't know the name Bill Laswell, you would do well to educate yourself.  He has been involved in about every crucial musical movement since the 70s. He is a bassist and producer extraordinaire.  Unfortunately, we could not find a video for either version of AnnaRexia, but we have another track from Speak Deluxe in the Video playlist.
  •  "Come Home With Me" by John the Conqueror from John the Conqueror (2012)


It was our friend's The End Men who turned us on to Philadelphia-based John the Conqueror. The band name comes from an African prince sold into slavery.  The band plays some well-grounded "dirty" blues music. The video included in the playlist is a live version of a JtheC song from the same album.
  • "Second Hand News" by Fleetwood Mac from Rumours (1977)


I decided to use part of an Amazon gift card I received to pick up some classic music that had never made it's way into my digital collection.  When Rumours came up at a sizable discount (that sale is now over), I jumped on it.  I don't think it is overstating to say that this is one of the best albums of it's time.  It's funny (not ha-ha funny but interesting) that once I dug into this album I realized a "knew" almost all of these songs. It's fair to say that 70s soft rock is not my favorite type of music, but it's hard to dispute that Fleetwood Mac were very good at what they do.
  • "Nothing to Say" by Hayden Coleman featuring The Skeleton at the Feast from a Bandcamp download (2013)



I love being able to spread the word about the music my friends are making. It's another great thing about writing a music blog.  It's like gravy when your friend is really, really good at what he does.  I really dig this song by Nashville underground hip-hop poets H.C. and his friend Levi.  Check out and download the song above.  Unfortunately, I could not find a video of this song, so I included a live performance by The Skeleton at the Feast and a spoken word performance by Hayden Coleman.
Peace out - yo! (I know, I know it sounds stupid when I say it).





-->

No comments:

Post a Comment