Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tuesday Morning Music Shuffle - my mind on my money and my money on my mind mix



Welcome to Tuesday... Off for MLK Day yesterday..

I've added a bunch of music to the old playlist - some of it shows up in today's mix.   Let's jump to it...


"Blackjack" by Barrence Whitfield and the Savages
 
"Barriers" by Joseph Arthur
 
"Bang Shotgun" by The Tye Trybe
 
"The Fantastic Vision" by The Jean Jackets
 
"Candy Flu" by The Walking Who
 
"Instance of Gratification" by Left of Logic
 
"Gin and Juice" (Snoop Dogg cover) by Garrison Starr
 
"Elvis" by Chancellor Warhol
 
"The Swimming Song" by Loudon Wainwright III
 
"Sheshanty" (Live 2011) by Darrin Bradbury
 
"Everyone Knows" by Ghost Pal


NOTES

I have a good friend from back in the day, who puts out a mix CD(s) every year.  It was his mix CD a few years back that really helped to jump start me back into keeping up with modern music.  That first year, many of the bands/artists he had on his CD were new to me.  More recently, I've been familiar with most of the music he features, however, every year, I make one or two new discoveries from these wonderful collections.  This year one of my early highlights is Barrence Whitfield and the Savages.  The band is from Boston and has a storied history going back to the mid 80s or so. I'm glad to be on the loop.

I keep on writing about the incredible musical output of Mama Coco's Funky Kitchen (studio/collective/whatever), and guess what I'll keep on writing until all of you guys check them out or until they stop putting out great music. Let's hope the former takes place long, long before the latter.  Today, we have awesome music from The Tye Trybe, The Jean Jackets, and Ghostpal.

The flu is a nasty thing.  Candy Flu? Maybe not so much.  The Walking Who are from down under, and I'm digging on their music.

As I discovered when I search You Tube for a video, there are a whole bunch of acoustic/folk/country covers of Gin and Juice by Snoop Dogg.  I didn't listen to them all, but I am willing to wager that none compares to Garrison Starr's cover (for which, I sadly could not find a video).  Hearing Starr's, as usual, gorgeous vocals giving a heartfelt reading to Snoop's misogynous lyrics is truly a delight to behold.

If you think Nashville and Alternative Hip-Hop don't go together, well then,  you haven't been paying enough attention.  We have a straight-out dope track from the totally whack Chancellor Warhol.*
*I promise I'll never write like that again.  Sorry*
*Aw, who am I kidding, I'll probably do it again given the chance.  Sorry again, in advance.*
*But seriously, this is good stuff.

If you've been following along at #E2TG, you will not be in the least surprised that our mix takes us from Chancellor Warhol's Alternative Hip-Hop to a song from singer-songwriter Loudon Wainwright III's 1973 album Attempted Mustache.  Really, it makes perfect sense to me.  The album was recorded in Nashville, and the album cover features on of the famous Edgehill Polar Bears.

Would I be wrong to say that Darrin Bradbury's song fits in perfectly beside the Loudon Wainwright classic? Well, I think it does.

 
SHOP
 
 
 
  


WATCH
 
 





-->

No comments:

Post a Comment