Friday, April 4, 2014

Another Random Mix of Great Music - April 4 Edition



Friday 4/4/2014

Still irregularly posting, but working hard a number of fronts.

Here's my latest collection of music that has crossed my ears and/or mind since we last visited.

No rhyme or reason... never that...



THE PLAYLIST

1. "Gimme the Car" by Violent Femmes (This was a Bonus Track when the CD version of the Femmes self-titled debut was released.  I always dug this song.)

2. "Heavy Metal Boyz" by Gear Daddies (Back when I first started posting "Shuffles" on Facebook - even before the launch of Ear to the Ground - it seemed like there was a time when a Gear Daddies' song showed up on my list almost everyday.  This song was always one of my favorites - along with a number of others...)

3. "No Depression" by Uncle Tupelo (If I have to explain why....)

4. The Rollins Band Live in 92 (News of a forthcoming Black Flag show in Nashville made me remember seeing The Rollins Band at 328 Performance Hall back in 1992 - the same year this video was made. Corrosion of Conformity was also on the bill.  At the time, I lived a few blocks away and actually walked to this show)

5.  "Chains" by Soul Asylum (somebody posted Whipped Cream and Other Delights by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass.  For some reason, it made me think of this...)

6. "Alabama Pines" by Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit (heard this on the radio... such an exquisitely beautiful song)

7. The Bisquits partial reunion 2005 (So The Bisquits were a Nashville band that featured Tommy Womack, Will Kimbrough, Michael Grimes, and  Tommy Meyer.  Just last week, when I was at The Basement seeing Miss Shevaughn and Yuma Wray, I showed them a picture of The Bisquits which hangs on the wall between the two restrooms. About a week later, I hear that The Bisquits are reuniting to play Music City Roots on April 16. Coincidence or something more mysterious???)

8.  "Emotion Sickness" by Will Kimbrough  (speaking of Will Kimbrough - one of the busiest men in music - his latest solo album Sideshow Love has been climbing the Americana charts. Check it)

9.  "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple (a heard this on the radio, too.)

10. "Somebody to Love" by Queen (ditto)

11. "99 Luftballoons" by Nena (I got this song stuck in my head the other day for no reason.  Passing it on...)

12. "My Hometown" (Bruce Springsteen cover) by Jason Ringenberg (just surfing around You Tube... here you go)

13. Pujol at Grimeys for RSD 2012 - (Just heard Daniel Pujol will be playing Record Store Day at Grimey's again this year.  Found this video from two years ago.)

14. "Solsbury Hill" by Peter Gabriel ("My heart going boom, boom, boom.")

15. "Superman's Song" by Crash Test Dummies (another ear worm from me to you)

16. "Sweet Virginia" by Rolling Stones (Exile on Main Street ya'll.)

17. "Layne Montgomery is Bad at Girls" by The Great American Novel (In honor of the band's final show :,-( which is going on tonight)



 



-->

No comments:

Post a Comment