Thursday, July 31, 2014

Thursday Morning Music Shuffle - Sledgehammer Hard Drive Mix



715th post - call this the Hank Aaron post.  No shuffle tomorrow, but I will be back on Monday.  If you miss me too much, you can check out past video playlists HERE.

We have a good one today - click past the jump...



"Swimming New Orleans" by The Grey A from My Country

Another song from the forthcoming My Country album by The Grey A.  The album is due September 2, and several release shows are scheduled - check here for details. If you go see them, (and you should) before to say hello to the bass player (long-time E2TG supporter/supportee Howard Rabach).

The song: A cautionary tale with a hint of resignation and a musical feel befitting the city named in the title.  I hope to have a full review of this album in the next couple of weeks.

"We're all Data on the Big Hard Drive" by Darrin Bradbury from Death in My Left Ear

For now, this is from the latest release from Nashville-based songwriter Darrin Bradbury.  But he is releasing yet another collection of songs next week.  I got the amazing opportunity to give the new one a listen - it's called Motel Oatmeal.  The more I listen and with each new release, I am so glad I've gotten to know this guy, and I hope everyone reading this will check him out now. 

The song: borrows "hey hey my my" from Neil Young and turns it into a song for the information age. 

"Airstream Shack" by DM Bob and Jem Finer from Pirana

This one came to me via the lovely folks who put out the Feel Bad for You monthly mix-tape.  DM Bob usually heads up DM Bob and the Deficit.  Jem Finer is a founding member of The Pogues who goes by the name Country Jem sometimes.

The song: just plain rocks in all the best ways...


"Sledgehammer Night" by The Brooklyn What from Mama Coco's Funky Kitchen: Section 5/Minor Problems

Yet another track from the insanely loaded Mama Coco's collection.

The song:  Hell yeah!  I needed a good punky jolt of The Brooklyn What this morning.  Any time!


"Vortexas" by Howe Gelb from The Coincidentalist

Tucson-based Howe Gelb also records as Giant Sand.  This is another from my friend Ronnie B's annual mix CDs. 

The song:  A moody, atmospheric piece with great word play.  Just a great song.


"Got it Wrong" by The Wild Feathers from The Wild Feathers

It is possible to overstate how great the Nashville music scene really is... I know it's possible because people do it all the time.  Still from all of the truly incredible songwriters playing tiny holes-in-the-wall all over town to the wide variety of bands getting national and international attention, it awful hard not be proud of your town...  The Wild Feathers up-to-date take on classic rock of the past 40-50 years are an impressive example of how Nashville is more than just Country.

The song: catchy and good natured... a fun way to end the shuffle and get on with my day.


WATCH (AND LISTEN):




SHOP:





         

No comments:

Post a Comment