Thursday, August 28, 2014

Thursday Morning Music Shuffle - Had it Blue Mix



Update: Apparently, I cannot spell music, which is not a good thing for a music blogger... corrected.

September is shaping up to be a great month for live music in Nashville (I'm not sure that there is a bad month for live music in Nashville, but still...).  I kicked things off a little early with a great night of music in East Nashville.  I saw the legendary David Olney (who has been a fixture in Nashville music for as long as I can remember) and his incredibly tight band (with E2TG favorite Mark Robinson standing in and killing it on guitar) doing a Happy Hour show at The 5 Spot.   Then I hopped over to East Nashville's best dive bar, Fran's Eastside to see another E2TG favorite Darrin Bradbury and Tim Carroll doing their weekly thing.



 



Well, we have another great shuffle of music today, so it's get to it.





"My Love" by Humming House (covering Justin Timberlake) from Humming House Party!

Nashville's own Humming House decided to recreate the vibe of The Beach Boys' Party!, and they threw a shindig at Eastside Manor.  You can get a little taste of what went down on Noisetrade.  The whole shebang can be had at iTunes.  Today's track is a killer cover of a futuresex lovesounds era Justin Timberlake song.


"She Runs Hot" by Little Village from Little Village

Long before any of us had ever heard the term Americana, Little Village formed as the first Americana supergroup.  Featuring Nick Lowe, John Hiatt, Ry Cooder, and Jim Keltner; the band released one amazing album, did a tour, and then went out to continue making amazing music.

"The Wolves" by The End Men from Odds and Ends

An amazing version of this song was The End Men's 2014 contribution to Couch by Couchwest. Man I love this song!

"People, Turn Around!" by Delta Spirit from Lost and Found

Another cool track from the new Delta Spirit outtakes sampler on Noisetrade.

"Have You Ever Had it Blue" by The Style Council from The Singular Adventures of the Style Council

After The Jam broke up Paul Weller continued and expanded on the Brit Soul sound evident in some of the later Jam music and formed The Style Council.  I think I've always had more of an affinity for The Jam, but I have to admit The Style Council had many great moments.

"The Bomb Stops Ticking" by The Grey A from My Country

I post this The Grey A track just ahead of the official release date of My Country and just over two weeks ahead of their Nashville release show with the realization that I have promised a full review.  I have a few full reviews I really want to do... I think it's time to woodshed... can music bloggers woodshed or is that reserved for musicians. Should I come up with another term? plastic shedding? Anyway, this is a really great song and just one of many on a really great album which you can pre-order on The Grey A website.

"Work" by The End Men from Odds and Ends

It's a two The End Men song day!  A not so subtle reminder this morning of where I was heading while listening to this shuffle.  I actually arrived in my building while this song was playing.

"Beggars' Guild" (Acoustic) by Roadkill Ghost Choir from Slow Knife EP

Roadkill Ghost Choir is a great band name.  Fortunately, this Florida band lives up to the name with their great take on modern folk/rock music.  I grabbed some of their music on Noisetrade, and we will have more in the days and weeks to come.


VIDEOS


No comments:

Post a Comment