Friday, September 12, 2014

Friday Morning Music Shuffle - Number Three Mix



One of the best side-effects of writing this blog (and certainly not one I expected or intended) has been the incredible people I have met.  Honestly, that is one of the main reasons, I have kept this up for three years.  One of the very first people I "met" way back in the early stages of Ear to the Ground was Howard Rabach.  Last night, I was fortunate enough to meet him in person and have an enjoyable dinner. Tonight, I get to see him again - playing bass for The Grey A for their CD Release Show at The Stone Fox.

Shuffle - let's go!


Today, I found videos of the actual artists and songs for all but one of the songs in the shuffle...



"What a Way to Go" by Tim Carroll from Opening Up/The Devil is a Busy Man

Tim Carroll is about release a new album which should be awesome.  In the meantime, dig on this!

"When it Was Wrong" (Live) by The California Honeydrops from Honeydrops Live/Spreadin' Honey
The California Honeydrops' music just makes me feel good all over.

"Inside Job" by Little Village from Little Village

The hits keep coming from Hiatt, Cooder, Keltner, and Lowe

"Pictures" (acoustic) by Madi Diaz from Stripped Chopped + Screwed

A pretty song from the talented Ms. Diaz.

"In a Cold World" by Toot Sweet from Mama Coco's Funky Kitchen: Section 5/American Hymn

Talk about a rich well of talent!  It seems like we've already featured like 100 songs from the latest Mama Coco's sampler, and they are all good.  I really like this one, and I'm going to check out more music from Toot Sweet!

"A New Life" by Jim James from Regions of Light and Sound of God

I don't care if you call him Jim James or Yim Yames. I don't care if he is fronting My Morning Jacket, jamming with the all-star Monsters of Folk, or like here on his own - Jim James rarely misses the mark as far as I am concerned.

"Number Three" (Live) by They Might Be Giants from First Album Live

I think anyone who writes (music or words) has experienced (at least temporarily) the feeling that you've used up all of your ideas.  This song has always been a favorite of mine by TMBG.

"Ever Start to Wonder" by The Dirty Guv'nahs from Hearts on Fire

This is from The Dirty Guv'nahs' most recently album. They are from Knoxville, Tennessee, and they groove like you won't even believe.

"Vagabon Special" by an All-Star Cajun Band from Evangeline Made: a tribute to Cajun Music

This is the instrumental first track from the Evangeline Made album featuring an All-Star band of Cajun musicians that includes the legendary Michael Doucet. I could not find a video of this song, but the song was written by Marc Savoy, and I found a video of The Savoy Family playing and people dancing.

"It Didn't Matter" by The Style Council from The Singular Adventures of the Style Council/The Cost of Loving

And we close out the day and the week of shuffles with another song from the impressive Style Council catalogue.
 
VIDEO 
 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment