Friday, September 5, 2014

Friday Morning Music Shuffle - Monsterdogs and Zen Koans Mix



One thing I take pride in with E2TG is the diversity of music that I'm willing to include in my mix.  Frankly, as much as I love Americana and as much as Americana is a pretty wide ranging "genre" of music, sometimes I need some metal, some punk, some music from far corners of the world, some experimental crazy stuff, some classical...

I need to give a shoutout to my friends from Valued Customer who has done more than their fair share in expanding my mind and my musical knowledge beyond all constraints.  They have a blog of their own called P E A C E F O R K which explores some less travelled (but supremely awesome spokes in the complex web of musical styles and influences.  Some of the music they've been posting should be showing up here soon, and I can't wait to share it.

While I've got your attention - I direct you to Valued Customer's masterpiece Kalpa which can be yours if the price is right (or wrong).



On to the shuffle for today....



"I. Prologue: Monsterdogs" by Left of Logic from In Formation

It isn't often that the shuffle pulls up a Prologue as the first song of the morning.  Ever less often that the song is about Monsterdogs. We have both from Left of Logics awesome In Formation album. (speaking of expanding our range...)


"I Need a Man" by Lael Summer from Burden to Bear

Another artist from the True Groove label. This song is sexy and sultry and Lael Summer is amazing.

"Always Maybe" by The Black Angels from Indigo Meadow

Austin based The Black Angels are based in the quest for pure sanity.


"Dizzy in my Hips Swinging" by The Grimm Generation from The Big Fame

A prime example of why I think The Grimm Generation should be huge.  They are huge - I just want more people to know it.

"Peace is Not Fiction" by Tomas Doncker from Power of the Trinity

It is entirely possible that I've had this song in the shuffle before. It's also entirely possible that I don't really care.  The world needs to be reminded of this simple  fact now more than ever.

"Scarecrow Man" by David Olney from When the Deal Goes Down

You may think it's hyperbole for me to call David Olney a modern Renaissance man, but trust me when I say it isn't.  In addition to his amazing recent album, he does an incredible recitation of Kubla Khan, and he wrote music and acts in The Nashville Shakespeare Festival's current production of As You Like It for Shakespeare in the Park here in Nashville.  It runs through the 14th, and if anyone wants to see it and will let me tag along, hit me up. Seriously.  We've included a video promo Mr. Olney made about the production.

"Zen Koans Gonna Rise Again" by Dave Van Ronk from Going Back to Brooklyn

I really want to listen to more Dave Van Ronk.  I will listen to more Dave Van Ronk.  I deserve to listen to more Dave Van Ronk.

"I'm Old Fashioned" by Victoria Williams from Sings Some Old Songs

Jerome Kern and Johnny Mercer wrote it.  Tons of people have covered it.  Since I couldn't find Ms. Williams' version, I posted John Coltrane's instead.  Dig it.

"Oye Como Va" (Live at El Jefe) by Perico Hernandez from Chef Soundtrack

We close with some Latin sounds from the Soundtrack of that Jon Favreau  movie with Robert Downey, Jr.  No, not that one.  No, not that one either.  Yeah, that one!


VIDEOS




             

No comments:

Post a Comment