Wednesday, September 10, 2014

WOW Wednesday Music Shuffle - Ram On Mix



So, The 'Mats did Alex Chilton on the Tonight Show, and U2 released a new album.  It's just like the late 80s again - except The 'Mats were sober, and the U2 album was "magically" added to my computer library, and I have a computer that holds most of my music collection... ah, so this is what the future looks like - says 20 year old me...

Seriously, The 'Mats were incredible, and I haven't heard the U2 album yet, but the fact  that the first song name drops Joey Ramone is promising...

Plus it was cool seeing the words, "Alex Chilton is Trending" on Facebook...


Ah, on we go...



"City of Immigrants" by Steve Earle from Washington Square Serenade

I've been a long-time fan of Steve Earle, and this is one of my favorite songs. It's my go-to when I started reading xenophobic crap on-line.
 
"Rock and Roll Eyes" by Centro-matic from 24 Songs/Redo the Stacks

Sometimes - I think - even a big music fan like myself misses out on a band. Thus was the case with me and Centro-matic, which is why I was so glad when they released 24 songs for free a while back - I consider it a crash course, and I'm ready for a more extensive study.

"Ram On" (Paul McCartney Cover) by the morning benders from ECHOMIX 2

Nothing like a Paul McCartney cover to brighten the morning.

"Nubian Queen" by Michael Angelo from Mexican Summer Vol. 1/b-side of single

A lost piece of 70s soft rock gold - resurrected in 2010 by Mexican Summer - and brought to you via my shuffle in 2014.

"God is Dead?" by Black Sabbath from 13

And when all else fails throw an 8 minute Black Sabbath comeback song into the mix.

"Drown in Blue (reprise)" by Marla Mase from Half-Life

Last night, I was listening to New Cell Phone Number and got a fresh reminder of the genius of Marla Mase.  Glad this song came up today, and it's another chance to plug tomorrow night's NYC show with the True Groove All-Stars.

"Birch Island Bandit" by Katherine Moller from Bright-Eyed and Bushy-Haired

The great thing about the WOW Wednesday format is that it allows me to be reminded of some great music we've featured before.  Katherine Moller is an awesome Celtic Fiddler from Canada.  I have always had an affinity for Celtic Music, and it was great hearing this song this morning.


"St. Croix" by Family of the Year from Loma Vista

The California band with a song from their break-out 2012 album.

"Becoming a Jackal" by Villagers from Snapshot: A Domino Compilation/Becoming a Jackal

2010 seems to feature prominently in today's shuffle.  This was the first single and title track from this Irish band's album from that year.

"Kayla of Colorado" by Darrin Bradbury from The Almost Great Crepe's (Demos)

We close things out with an old song from Darrin Bradbury who played an excellent set last night at The 5 Spot in Nashville.  The video I picked in lieu of this song is one of his newest songs which he did perform last night. The Ballad of B.O.B.


VIDEOS





No comments:

Post a Comment