Thursday, October 16, 2014

Thursday Morning Music Shuffle - Muddy Water Mix



Last night, I made my weekly pilgrimage to Fran's Eastside Tavern on a rainy Wednesday night in East Nashville. Fran's on Wednesday is a bit hard to explain unless you've been there (and maybe even if you have).  I haven't been to Fran's on any other night, so I am not able to say anything about those other nights.  Just to keep in simple, Fran's is a dive bar, smoky beyond ever what you might expect from a dive bar, with cheap beer (cash only), regulars, a pool table, and the added tension of being in the midst of the East Nashville "scene".  Most Wednesday nights, it is Tim Carroll and Darrin Bradbury holding court with original songs and a wildly unpredictable nature that has included a world-class trombone player, a Christmas Carole in early October, and the Music City Roots bus.  With Tim Carroll on tour, Zachariah Red filled in last night - not an easy task - not an easy gig.  Having missed much of Zach's set the last time I went to see him (it may or may not have involved my keys getting locked in my van) and having heard his demo EP, I was looking forward to this.

As I listened, the words understated brilliance came to my mind.  But, I think it is more unassuming brilliance. A quiet personality -  a calm, smooth delivery - definitely enjoyable. I don't know if this will make sense to anyone but me, but when Zach sang a Kris Kristofferson song, it came to me. When Kristofferson sang with the Highwaymen - Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, and Willie Nelson were such larger than life figures with legendary figures with such storied reputations for hard living... and it was not that Kristofferson wasn't larger than life and it wasn't that he didn't live just as hard... but relatively, he seemed unassuming to me. And, that is how I feel about Zachariah Red. His original songs are awesome and the brilliance hits you in subtle waves rather than in a massive attack. 

And Darrin Bradbury...  what can I say - it is fun to watch this amazingly talented guy really hit a stride and start to get some well-deserved recognition.

To the shuffle:

The shuffle begins with some wildly fun, sharp turns in genre and then settles into a delicious groove of excellent songwriting.


"Toss Me A Shovel, Pt. II" by The Radicals from The EntrĂ©e (a Built4BBQ sampler)/One for the Ditch

More punk rock goodness from the Built4BBQ Sampler via Boston-area band The Radicals.

"Ms. Fat Booty" by Amerigo Gazaway from Yasiin Gaye: The Departure (Side One)

This is Nashville!  Amerigo Gazaway is a Nashville based producer.  This is a pretty sick mashup of Mos Def and Marvin Gaye.

"I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water" by Stonewall Jackson from Waterloo - CD3

This is also Nashville! I'm sorry - I don't like to toot my own horn, but sometimes you just need to toot... wait - nevermind... But seriously, do you think your Pitchfork, your Stereogum, your No Depression, your Country Music News (or whatever) are going to follow up a Mos Def/Marvin Gaye mashup with some classic Country and Western Music from the great Stonewall Jackson?  I don't think so.  I have my niche! :-)

"Nine Eyes" by Brown Bird from Fits of Reason

Consider the groove settled into... another outstanding song from Brown Bird. Happy for the music they gave us.

"Washateria" by Fat Opie from Victoryville

Fat Opie is the non de plume of Scott Mickelson, who I came across when I posted about Dan Coyle.  Mickelson contributed to Coyle's new album and the two are currently touring together.  I really dig this song.

"This is Not the House That Pain Built" by Dar Williams from The Honesty Room

Dar Williams.  If I need to say more... well just go listen.

"I've Won Every Battle, But I've Lost Every War" by Cahalen Morrison from The Flower of Muscle Shoals

 I grabbed this one off the September Feel Bad for You mixtape (October's mix is up now), and I didn't have time to get much information, but this is a 2014 release, and I will be on the lookout for more music.

"Bright White" by Haesemeyer from Three Mirrors

The great songs from great writers trend continues with another track off the great new album from the incredible San Francisco artist.

"The Morning After the Coup" by Grant Peeples and the Peeples Republik from Punishing the Myth

And we close things out with another awesome song from Florida "leftneck" poet and songwriter Grant Peeples.


VIDEOS



No comments:

Post a Comment