Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Tuesday Morning Music Shuffle - Protective Leather Skin Mix



Let's see....  So apparently, Foo Fighters are playing at The Ryman on Halloween.

Last night, I got hang out with some awesome songwriters and talk music and the movie Road House, plus hear some of them do what they do best.  I also hopped over to the Mercy Lounge to finally see Dogs of Oz live.  They were awesome, and I hope to see a longer set from them soon.  Here is a picture.




Let's get to the shuffle -

"The Good Fight" by Lael Summer from Burden to Bear

For the second day in a row we have a long from Lael Summer.  Such a great voice!

"Runnin'" by Modoc from Deer Head Music Presents: Indie Mixtape Nashville/Modoc

The breath and depth of talent in Nashville is outrageous. This incredible Indie mixtape while demonstrating a wide range of sounds and styles within the loosely defined genre is still but a drop in the bucket.  So many awesome players, writers, and bands....  That's to Deer Head Music and Daniel Ellsworth and the Great Lakes for expanding my Nashville musical vocabulary.  Cool song from Modoc, who I have been hearing about for a while... my first listen, and I dig it.

"Tarpit" by Golden Smog from Blood on the Slacks

A week or so ago I found two Golden Smog albums at Goodwill. For the uninitiated, Golden Smog is a loosely associated group of musicians who are better known from their other bands.  Primarily, it is Gary Louris from The Jayhawks and Dan Murphy from Soul Asylum. Although best known for their awesome covers, on later albums the band began writing original music.  This, however, is a cover of a song by Dinosaur Jr.  P.s. I love the name of this album!

"Widows" by Heath McNease from Fort Wayne (Songs Inspired by the Film)

Another great track from Heath McNease from the album that accompanies his film, Fort Wayne.

"I Don't Really Want to be Social" by BROCHO from An Introduction to BROCHO/Can't Get Past the Lips

Some days, I think this could be my theme song.... I've been really digging on this BRONCHO music - thanks to NoiseTrade for the introduction...

"Nothings Gonna Change my Clothes" (live) by They Might Be Giants from First Album Live

We are almost done with our presentation of the live recreation of TMBG's incredible first album.  "And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton
Surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice
Some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice"
"When I See You Again" by The Western Shore from Thunderstorm

In spite of or because of or coincidental to the fact that Nashville has a wealth of musical talent (as previously discussed), it is also (or at least can be) a very small, tightly knit community. A few weeks ago at a Friday Tim Carroll show, I met Charlie Smyth and in the course of our conversation, I mentioned that I write a music blog at which point he handed me a CD. (Seriously one of favorite parts of writing a music blog), and just a few minutes later, I found out he is friends with some of my new musician friends.  Well, I gave the album a listen and immediately added to my active playlist, and today the Shuffle monster finally coughed our first (but not our last) song from this album.  Highly original sound, great songs, and superior execution.  I'm a fan.

"We Take Care of Our Own" by Matt King from Raw

I think I've said it before, but I am so looking forward to the next Matt King album which should feature his new band Killing Streets which includes my good friends Matt and Livia from The End Men (who are still the most tagged band on Ear to the Ground - although Darrin Bradbury is closing).  Until that album comes out, it's been good to listen to this stripped down album and imagine this incredible songwriter back by such a kick ass band. 

"Getting Tails" by Zachariah Red from This Town EP

During the past couple of months, as I go through a rather difficult time, I have been fortunate to meet some incredible and incredibly talented people.  A couple of weeks ago, I got to write out Zachariah Red following his guest slot at Fran's Eastside.  Today we have another song from his EP.  Looking forward to hearing more from Zachariah Red soon.  By the Nashville readers, Zach and several other of new friends and new favorite songwriters are playing at Belcourt Taps on Thursday. Come out.

"Sweet Trepidation"  by Ron Muga from Wonderful Doom

We close out the day with a song from New York songwriter Ron Muga.  He was kind enough to contact me and send me some music.  I like this song a lot. Check him out.


VIDEOS



No comments:

Post a Comment