Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Tuesday Morning Music Shuffle - Pitch Black Mix



As with many people, my mind is consumed with thoughts of what has happened and is happening in Ferguson, Missouri and what it says about us as a nation - as human beings.... I am not one of those who thinks he has all the answers... in fact there are just a few things I think I know.... repeated and systemic injustice creates situations where violence flourishes.  Violence and Hate are never the answer.  Peace and Love always are the answer.  Justice must proceed peace.  We are one world and one people. We really need to work on losing this idea of them vs. us.

Coincidently, we begin today's random shuffle with a cover of  Gil Scott-Heron song, but not the one I've seen others posting today...

"Legend in His Own Mind" by Stacy Mitchhart from Live My Life

Nashville Bluesman Stacy Mitchhart is up first with his cover of Gil Scott-Heron's Legend is His Own Mind.

"Wino" by Bob Frank from Bob Frank

To be honest, when I listened to this song this morning, I did not know anything about it.  I grabbed this off of the latest Feel Bad for You Mixtape where it was submitted by Mad Mackerel Music Blog.  The song is from 1972 and is from a 2014 Remastered version of Bob Frank's self-titled first album.  From my hasty research, Mr. Frank has quite the storied history.  What I know for sure is this is a great song that I wanted more people to hear.

"Shimmer and Shine" by Michael Sackler-Berner

Michael Sackler-Berner is a Musician and Actor from NYC.  I'll be honest until last night when I came across this song on the New Release section of Freegal, I had never heard of him.  He has worked with a stellar array of talent including folks like Marshall Crenshaw and Jim Keltner.  This is not raw roughly hewn music. This slick, well produced music that "shimmers and shines" like the song talks about.  As much as I dig me some rough raw music, I do not think that slick, well produced music is to be ignored. Especially, when the production is supported by a great pop song.

"Good Looking Boy" by Ike Reilly from Am I Still the One for You?

A powerful song about war veterans from Ike Reilly.  Our second listen to Mr. Reilly and so far he's 2 for 2 in my book.

"Shut Up Shuttin' Up" by Victor from Victor

Before things get too heavy, let's take it in a completely different direction with this humorous track from Alex Lifeson's ( of RUSH) 1996 solo album recorded under the name Victor.  This track features Lifeson's wife and another woman talking about men.  The sentiment is appropriate for a day filled with loud mouths spouting off on the internet and using opinions as facts.

"Line Up" by Minton Sparks from Middlin' Sisters

Spoken word of a completely different sort with this tale of corporal punishment and familial bonds that cross generations.

"Pitch Black" by PUJOL from PUJOL Sampler/Kludge

What can I say except, I absolutely love PUJOL's music. This is a great song.

"Tried and True" by The Jayhawks from The Jayhawks (aka The Bunkhouse Album)

More from the debut album of The Jayhawks... tried and true indeed...

"Bad Habits" by Hugh Trimble from neighborpoem

Hugh Trimble just released a new album which I need to check out, but right now we are making our way through this one, and so far every song is a gem. 

"The Hanging" by Grant Peeples from Punishing the Myth

On a serious day, it seems fitting to close out the shuffle with a song that sends a powerful message about Capital Punishment and our nation's seemingly insatiable appetite for blood.  Two wrongs don't make a right.


VIDEO PLAYLIST


No comments:

Post a Comment