Monday, December 22, 2014

Monday Morning Music Shuffle - Endings for Beginning in Dm Mix



So, it's the penultimate post before Ear to the Ground takes a few days off for Christmas. I'm just saying this because I like using the word penultimate. Anyway, today's shuffle is a good one, and I hope you enjoy.


"Epilogue" by Ben Arthur (featuring Rachel Yamagata)

Following in E2TG's long tradition of including concept albums in our shuffle and letting the results be what they may, we begin today's shuffle with the Epilogue to Ben Arthur's brilliant album If You Look for My Heart.

"Father and Son" by Cat Stevens

I posted a new Yusuf Islam/Cat Stevens song a few weeks back, now we have a song from Cat Steven's 1970 album Tea for the Tillerman.

"Lateness of Dancers" by Hiss Golden Messenger

Deservedly, North Carolina band Hiss Golden Messenger have been getting some favorable attention from some of the folks whose musical attention I favor.  I love this (title) song from their album Lateness of Dancers which came out back in September.

"Aos Pes da Cruz" by Gilberto Gil

Gilberto Gil is a Brazilian musician whose music embodies a diverse range of styles from Samba, Rock, African, and Reggae. He was the Minister of Culture in Brazil from 2003 to 2008.  I came across this in the New Release section on Freegal, and I dig it bunches.  I am so glad I don't allow myself to be forced into the narrow confines of genres and shit.  This is from his latest album Gilbertos Samba.

"Henry Died in Dm" by Joe Nolan

Another song from his Plain Jane album, and this is a good one. Inspired by the Sam Shepard play, Suicide in Bflat (sorry I don't have time to figure out how to type the flat sign).  
 
"Henry! Oh, Henry! You don't look so well!
Are you risin' to Heaven, or writhin' in Hell?
Are you bound to play a holy harp or blow a hellish horn?
Henry you been dyin' since the day that you were born"

"Christmas in Jail" by The Youngsters

Some 1956 Doo Wop Christmas.  Not to be confused with the John Prine song Christmas in Prison which is also great.

"Twinkle (Little Christmas Lights)" by JD McPherson

Keeping the Christmas theme going with a nifty fun song. We have a JD Mcpherson single from a couple of Christmases ago.  This is included on a recently release set of music on Noisetrade.

"Chano Pozo's Shoes" by Tom Mason

Tom Mason and his band of rowdy pirates, The Blue Buccaneers, are one of East Nashville's greatest treasures. This is a rollicking fun song from Tom's pre-Blue Buccaneers' days. I found it on a East Nashville compilation from a few years back.  The latest album from the band is called The World is Ablaze.  I got to attend the CD release party for that album and Avast ye! it was a good time. 

"The Mixture" by Ike Reilly

I swear I think I keep saying this, but this is one of my favorite songs on the recently released megadownload from Ike Reilly via Noisetrade. It is off of the 2005 album Junkie Faithful by The Ike Reilly Assassination.

"Christmas Party" by Eddie and De Havelon

More Christmas.  I couldn't find a video for this song, nor could I find much about the song or the artist. It came to me from an Aquarium Drunkard mixtape via David Horton.  My Google search mostly linked to the Aquarium Drunkard site and few other references on music websites with very little details available.  It's a cool song though.  If anybody has information about this, please feel free to share in comments or privately.

"Santa Claus Boogie" by Hasil Adkins

One final Christmas tune to close out today's shuffle. This is one sure to leave you dancing your way into Monday afternoon.  Hasil Adkins was from West Virginia and it seems as though his life was as colorful as his music. 


***************VIDEO PLAYLIST*******************




No comments:

Post a Comment