Friday, January 9, 2015

Friday Morning Music Shuffle - All for Show Mix



Note to myself: just because it is not 4 degrees, the 20s are still pretty cold.

I wonder if I am the only person who upon encountering an unpleasant odor while out walking, thinks that I need to push the "inside air" button...

Ah, ignore me. It Friday - the end of the first full week of work in what seems like forever.

We close out the week a shuffle that includes a couple of recent tunes mixed in with some songs that I have loved for a long time....

"Tiny Town" by The Dead Milkmen

My first comment was going to be that this song is the punk rock answer to John Mellencamp's song, "Small Town", but then I figured out that this song actually pre-dates the latter song (by a couple of months).  So, I will just say this is an alternative take on small town living.  From Big Lizard in my Backyard.

"Mantle of Disguise" by The Torn Images

One of the two recent songs in the shuffle is a nifty bit of modern alternative rock from the California band The Torn Images from their album Reviver.

"Both Sides of the Line" by Jason and the Scorchers

 Back in the day, there were rumors going around that R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe sang background vocals on this song and maybe co-wrote the song. Later, I heard that although he had been in the studio when this was recorded, he actually was not involved in the song.  It's pure Scorchers but it does have a fair amount of that 80s Southern murk that R.E.M. did so well back in those days. From Fervor.

"Cartoon" by Soul Asylum

I made a bold pronouncement/observation that Soul Asylum's Hang Time was the perfect intersection of the band's punk history and pop rock future.  If that is in any way true, then I think of all the songs of Hang Time, Cartoon might be the one song that typifies that combination.  Whatever, I love this song, and I always have. 

"Still Tied" by Jason and the Scorchers

From Lost and Found, some more vintage era Scorchers... one of those songs that let's the band catch their breath a  bit before exploding into another blistering song.

"Watusi Rodeo" by Guadalcanal Diary

I remember seeing the video for this song on MTV's The Basement Tapes which kicked off a long standing obsession with his Georgia band.  From Walking in the Shadow of the Big Man.  One of my favorite songs of all time.

"Secondary Modern" by Elvis Costello and the Attractions

From Get Happy!  "But there won't be a problem till the girls go home..."

"Little Eva" by Tom Tom Club

One of the best and definitely one of the longest lasting "spinoff" bands of all time.  Talking Heads rhythm section Chris Frantz and Tina Weymouth create (literally) some of the grooviest music around.  This is from the most excellent 1988 album Boom Boom Chi Boom Boom.

"Far Behind" by Jason and the Scorchers

Our third Jason and the Scorchers song in the shuffle.  Another down tempo song, and one of my favorites... nothing like it when you are sweaty and exhausted to stand around with other sweaty and exhausted people and sing along with this one. Another from Lost and Found.

"Volare" by Alex Chilton

How about Alex Chilton singing the hit Italian song, Volare? Sure, why not? From his album, High Priest.

"Wholly Night" by Ben Arthur

We close things out with the second "recent" song in today's shuffle, and it is a good one.  From his If You Look for My Heart album...  This is one of my favorites on the album. 

By the way, I think today is one of those rare days, when I found videos for every song in the shuffle.  (I didn't go back and double check, but I'm pretty sure I did).  So, give listen and experience my morning commute from the comfort of your own home.

VIDEO PLAYLIST

No comments:

Post a Comment