Thursday, January 15, 2015

Thursday Morning Music Shuffle - Oh My and a Boo Hoo Mix



I got those post-birthday hangover blues... hangover in the figurative sense (or is it literal???)

Anyway, some killer tunes in the shuffle - so let's get to it.


"You Got Trouble" by Blackfoot Gypsies

A great way to start the morning commute.  Six minutes or so of Blackfoot Gypsies signature high-energy bluesy rock music.  This is from their album Dandee Cheeseball.

"Come Join the Murder" by The White Buffalo and The Forest Rangers

Did you know that a group of crows is called a "murder" because they will sometimes kill a dying cow?  I didn't either, but I join writers of songs, poetry, and fiction in thanking whoever came up with the name for the inspiration.  I really love this song which was featured on the television series Sons of Anarchy.

"1969" by The Stooges

I was three years old in 1969 (a fact that either makes me seem really old or really young depending upon your point of view), so I will have to take Iggy's word on what that year was like. I am not one to argue with Iggy.  Powerhouse, proto-punk from the self-titled debut album.

"Femme Fatale" (Velvet Underground cover) by Tom Tom Club

Femme Fatale is among my favorite Velvet Underground songs (there are a bunch on that list), and this is one of my favorite cover versions. From Boom Boom Chi Boom Boom.

"Stop Your Sobbing" by The Pretenders

Speaking of Femme Fatales...

"V.F.W." by The Dead Milkmen

I've never been in a foreign war, but I am a veteran in the sense that this song is talking about....

"Free Again" by Alex Chilton (Big Star)

A few songs from the Big Star album Third/Sister Lovers made it onto the Alex Chilton compilation 19 Years.  The absence of Chris Bell made the album (to some) essentially an Alex Chilton solo album. Regardless of that debate, it is one of my favorite albums of all time and I love this song.
"Dracula, 1931" by Sci-Fi Romance

I think this is the second to the last song for us to feature from the remarkable October album by our friend Vance Kotrla (aka Sci-Fi Romance).  Once again, in case you missed the previous posts, shortly before Halloween, Mr. Kotrla sat down and watched a marathon of classic horror films (along with the film Ed Wood), and he then wrote and recorded some songs based upon each of the films.  Here, he transforms the classic 1931 film Dracula (directed by Tod Browning and starring the great Bela Lugosi) into a meditation on the consequences of immortality.


"The Queen of My Arms" by Matthew Ryan

We close things out with a Bonus track from Matthew Ryan's album Boxers. A great way to end a most excellent shuffle.



VIDEO PLAYLIST



             

No comments:

Post a Comment