Friday, March 13, 2015

Friday Morning Music Shuffle - Orange Windbreaker and a Beard Mix



We've reached the end of another week.  Today's shuffle is a pretty interesting mixed bag with a couple of artists making their E2TG debut, plus a few old favorites, and some of my heroes...  I'm short on time, so this will be haphazard.


"Good Ol' Boy (Gettin' Tough)" by Steve Earle

Well, after bringing up the first two songs from Guitar Town in order on different days, today's shuffle skips to the fourth song.  Maybe this was the third song on some Japanese import???  In any event, I grew up in a kind of small town in Tennessee, but I never really felt like I connected with the "Good Ol' Boys" when I lived there, so when I first heard this song, I thought I had found that point of connection...

"Breakthrough" by Science!

Science! are from Seattle, a bunch of cool people I know like them, and they have participated in Couch by Couchwest in the past (which is probably where I first heard them) - I hope they participate this year (hint, hint)... This song is on their latest album Alcoves and Alleyways which was released in January.

"Right Now" by Marshall Crenshaw

I love all of Marshall Crenshaw's albums.  His self-titled album and Field Day probably rank among the greatest pop albums of all time. But, this album, Downtown, will always hold a special place in my heart.  It's all tied to the place and time that I first listened to the album and the heady nights - being a freshman in college and experiencing new things and old things in a new way...  Hearing this album again, transports me back in the best possible way.

"Tense" by The Bell Hours

I am fascinated by the random shuffle that produces my Morning Shuffle each day.  Certain songs or albums or artists may sit in my queue for several weeks and then two songs come up on subsequent days. The Bell Hours are from Denver, and the music I have been playing comes via Noisetrade.  The EP is called Easy Weather, and I really like it a whole bunch.

"Vestige Gone" by David Dondero

I am about 90% sure I featured this song before.  I think it may be one of the songs that transferred over from my old phone and I couldn't remember if I had featured it or not... You know what, though, I don't really care.  It is quite simply a brilliant song that I would happily play a few more times.  Musically, I live for the aha moments when I hear something and if it's not a new song, I wonder why I never heard it before, and then I wonder why everyone hasn't heard it before. And then I set about to do my small part is righting that wrong.  I don't have those moments every day, but I feel that way about David Dondero.  Darrin Bradbury turned me onto his music....

"The Smart Schoolboy" by Forest Mountain Hymnal

From their work-in-progress Dear Balladeer which features songs from the Ballad Book for John Jacob Niles... We've featured Forest Mountain Hymnal several times, and they never disappoint. I love the traditional folk feel of this song.

"Dancing Dead Men" by The Ghoul Goes West

Another song from the Arkansas band off their album Ghosts and Bones and Blood and Things.  I little macabre dance music for your Friday...

"Sucker for Love" by Cherub

Nashville's Cherub make their E2TG debut today with a fine bit of funkiness. I came across their name in an article recently, and then coincidently found this song on Freegal a few days later.  I do love the randomness of how I discover music sometimes. This is not what most people thing of when they think of Nashville music, and that is both a good and a bad thing.  Cherub's music, though, is definitely a good thing.  I think they have some NSFW videos, but I don't think the one I picked is one of those... So click on related videos with care if you are at work or school.

"Poetry in Motion" by The Great Game

The Great Game call what they do, New World Music.  They are from all over the world mostly Europe and they bring a variety of influences into their sound, and it all blends nicely and some really awesome alchemy comes into play, and the result is what you hear.  This is from their self-titled album which was just released a week ago.

"Insect Ball" by Eight O' Five Jive

When it is early morning on the week following the shift to Daylight Savings Time, and it is Friday and you've about had it with the week, but you have one more work day to get through and you are approaching your office and really not feeling it... you need some Jive sometimes to give you that little kick in the ass and get you moving.  Or at least I do.  This is a cover of a Big Jay McNeely song that can be found on the Nashville band's debut album Too Many Men which is going to be released in April.  Thanks to Sue Havlish for sending this my way, and for introducing me to a couple of the members of the band.

"Sure Thing" by Sam Morrow

We close out the week's worth of shuffles with the return of Sam Morrow to E2TG. This song comes to us from a Forty Below Records sampler off of Noisetrade.  The song is an uplifting illumination of the notion that often the greatest joy comes out of the worst pain.


VIDEO PLAYLIST




             

No comments:

Post a Comment