Thursday, March 12, 2015

Thursday Morning Music Shuffle - Maybe Longer Mix



Last night I got to see an artist I featured here on Ear to the Ground a couple of years ago, Callaghan, kick off her album preview tour at 3rd and Lindsley.  If you want to know what I thought about it, you can check it out at No Depression.

We have a pretty nifty shuffle for you....

"Voodoo Doll" by Diamond Rugs

This new supergroup has been getting quite a bit of well deserved press lately, and I will jump on that particular band wagon right now.  The band includes John and Robbie from Deer Tick, T. Hardy Morris of Dead Confederates, and Steve Berlin of Los Lobos as well as some other great players from other great bands. Their album Cosmetics is out now.

"My Town" by The Bell Hours

From their album Easy Weather which is available on a Tip/Share basis on Noisetrade.  They are from Denver. The music is fresh and diverse and worth giving a listen.

"Goodbye's All We've Got Left to Say" by Steve Earle

So far, the shuffle has presented us Guitar Town in order.  This is the second song on that album... a heartbreaking tale of love gone wrong...

"Feed It Back to Us" by The Ghoul Goes West

One side effect of my recent work with No Depression has been a sharp uptick in the volume of submissions which comes into my inbox.  I try to at least read every one, and although it is really hard to say what it is that makes me go the next step and listen, I have to say that having a name like The Ghoul Goes West helps.  Fortunately, the music lives up to the name, and it has been a real blast digging into their album Ghost and Bones and Blood and Things. 

"Lionel II" by The Lucky Jukebox Brigade

We are reaching the end of the tracks on the album Familiar Fevers.  Since that album came out, the band have had a few personnel changes, but I credit them with pressing on.  They play out mostly in their native upstate New York, and if you get the chance go see them live.  I know I will.  In the good timing category, this morning, after this song came up in my shuffle, I saw a post that the band has a new drummer.  So, consider this my shuffle's way of wishing the old drummer well and welcoming the new one.

"Take a Little Time" by Walter Trout

Walter Trout is a legendary Blues guitarist and singer who previously worked with Canned Heat, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Joe Tex, and Percy Mayfield.

"Brown Sugar" by The Rolling Stones

The opening track and lead single from The Stones 1971 Sticky Fingers.  This might be a good bully pulpit time to say (and I feel like I am in the minority here), but just to be honest, I really don't get the whole Beatles vs. Stones thing.  I mean, I get that it is a forum for people who are passionate about music to get even more passionate, but I've never really understand why there has to be competitions... I mean the good news is that no one has to choose and that everyone is free to choose.  It can be The Beatles, The Stones, The Beatles and The Stones, or neither.  Can't we all just get along?

"Panic Beach" by Maria McKee

I was a huge Lone Justice fan.  Their debut album is one of my favorites and I also loved Shelter.  I have to say that it has been such a pleasure rediscovering the brilliance of Maria McKee's self-titled solo debut.  This song sets such a scene...

"Love is a Wind That Screams" by Richard Barone

Cool Blue Halo was a revelation to me when my friend Ron (aka Rex Silo) first turned me onto it some 25 years ago (is that possible???).  I had been a fan of The Bongos before, but this album, these songs just blew me away.  The video is from the 25th Anniversary show and features Garth Hudson of The Band on accordion.
 


VIDEO PLAYLIST


No comments:

Post a Comment