Thursday, May 14, 2015

Thursday Morning Music Shuffle - Weirdo Mix




Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Yesterday, I posted a listing of the live music I have seen this week.  Last night, I had the opportunity to visit the famous Cash Cabin in Hendersonville to meet and hear some really awesome music from a San Diego band called Talk Like June.  They have been recording at the cabin with John Carter Cash producing.  The music was great, and they stories and people were truly incredible. The spirit of Johnny and June Carter Cash is so present in that relatively small space.

Please understand, though, I gather no pleasure from seeing incredible live shows and meeting legendary music figures and all of that... I do it all for you dear reader - so that I may bring all of those experiences back with me and make Ear to the Ground the best it can be,  It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it...

Please don't feel too bad for me, though....



"19" by Boy Named Banjo

Nashville's Boy Named Banjo are going to be at Bonnaroo next month.  This song is from their album, Long Story Short.  A shout out to my friend Boyd for the recommendation.  He's been guiding my musical tastes and experiences for many, many years,  and he currently is Israel having an incredible experience I am sure.

"City of Ends" by A Color Engine

A Color Engine was a project featuring one of Ear to the Ground's absolute favorite people, Don Ryan along with Eric Burchfield who was part of Elephant Goes West which we featured here.  Don made this old project available as a form of compensation for the fact that some of us have been waiting literally a million years for a new Don Ryan record... okay maybe not literally... but you know... I dig this A Colored Engine record, but I'm still baiting my breath for the really new record.

"Hey Lawdy Papa" by The Barefoot Movement

Among this interesting people I met last night was this band newly relocated to Nashville.  They have a very real interest in promoting and learning traditional music, and I got hold of some of their music.  This song is from an EP called The High Road.  This is a Traditional song once recorded by a blues singer named Teddy Grace.

"Fisher's Hornpipe" by David Schnaufer and The Cactus Brothers

Speaking of Traditional music.... we have another track from the legendary Dulcimer player here with Nashville band The Cactus Brothers which started as a side project of the great 1980s Nashville band, Walk the West.

"Swarm" by Whiskey Shivers

Exposing the rowdier side of roots music, we have Whiskey Shivers from their self-titled album.

"The Way it Went Down" by Tim Carroll

One of my favorite (among many songs) by the prolific and tireless Nashville guitarist and songwriter.  From his Pure as Coal album.  The video was produced by students at Watkins College of Art, Design, and Film here in Nashville.

"White Flag" by John Moreland

Oklahoma songwriter John Moreland has released one of the best albums of the year and if you ever get the chance to see him live - go and be prepared to have your mind and heard blown wide open.  

"Uja" by Tanya Tagaq

In our quest to make sure we leave no musical stone unturned..  some contemporary throat singing music from Cambridge Bay, Nunavut in Canada.  This is actually the second track we've presented from her.  Pretty cool stuff.

"Weirdo" by Masked Intruder

Masked Intruder are a masked Pop Punk/Power Pop band from Madison, Wisconsin. Weirdo is just a flat out awesome song.

"Tide is Rising" by Direct Divide

Direct Divide are from Seattle and play powerful Orchestral/Cinematic Rock music.  

"Trustful Hands" by The Do

The Do (the o has a line through it - one of those European things I don't know how to duplicate in typing).  They are from Paris France, and I really dig this song.  I want to hear more from them as soon as possible.

VIDEO PLAYLIST





             

No comments:

Post a Comment