Friday, June 12, 2015

Friday Morning Music Shuffle - How many 'L's are in Van Halen Mix




Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

The reality of writing an independent music blog, as I have done for over four years now, is that you have to push through those days when it seems like no one is pay attention (and even those days when seriously no one is paying attention). Maybe by attrition or maybe dumb luck, sometimes good stuff starts to happen, and you find yourself in incredible situations that almost do not seem real. The key in those moments (for me at least) is to not lose my sense of wonder and no matter what to never lose the hunger for discovering new music.  For me, when I lose that hunger, it will be time to move on... fortunately, I am not there yet.

Okay, so what prompted all this?  Several things, some amazing opportunities have come my way, and I choosing not to be cynical or jaded about them. Also, something seems to have broken open in the last couple of weeks and the number of people contacting me to listen to their music has grown exponentially. It can be overwhelming, but seriously it is the most incredible good fortune.  So be patient... I will listen to everything sent to me, but I can't make any promises beyond that.  Every time someone sends me music, I hope it will be one of "those" albums that changes everything... it isn't always, but even when it is not, I still get to hear some incredible music.

"I'm Indestructible" by The Colored Parade

This song by my friend Andrew Adkins' band The Colored Parade was featured in a motion picture starring Ethan Hawke which was based upon a play by William Shakespeare.

"Sweet Sunshine" by The Satisfactors

New Jersey Rock and Roll supergroup with another song from their debut album.

"Has He Got a Friend for Me?" by Maria McKee

Seriously, do you need to know more than this is Maria McKee covering Richard Thompson?  I think the shuffle added this song today because I am going to see Richard Thompson on Saturday night.  Maybe he will do this song???

"Happy Alone" by Saintseneca

Saintseneca are a folk band signed to ANTI Records and based out of Columbus, Ohio. The album is Dark Arc, and it was released in 2014.

"High Water (For Charley Patton)" by Bob Dylan

From Love and Theft .  Charley Patton was a Delta Blues musician.  The song references the Patton song, "High Water Everywhere".  Another good reminder that for all of his flaws and inconsistencies, Bob Dylan remains one of the most important musical figures of the current era.  

"Long Night" by Guster

From the seventh studio album by Boston alternative rock band Guster. Evermotion was produced by Richard Swift who is now a member of The Shins.

"Living Proof" by Aaron Lee Tasjan

The shuffle brought up this song from Aaron Lee Tasjan's recent EP, Telling Stories to the Wall, which is amazing by the way. A great example of Tasjan's way of speaking the truth with humor and spot on cultural references.

"Big Apple Blues" by Tomas Doncker Band


The title track from New York's Tomas Doncker Band and their latest album which is a collaboration with Pulitzer Prize winning Poet Yusef Komunyakaa.


VIDEO PLAYLIST


             

No comments:

Post a Comment