Friday, June 19, 2015

Friday Morning Music Shuffle - One More Time Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

So... much happening.  I was in a car for about half of yesterday.  I have just been catching up with the news out of South Carolina. Sending out good thoughts to all those who lost loved ones.  And sending out as much love as I can muster for this country in hopes that we can finally begin address some of the many issues which lead to this terrible event.  I am not optimistic about things, but I remain hopeful.  If that makes sense.

Switching gears... If you are in Nashville tonight, I recommend heading down to the Basement East for a benefit for Allen Thompson.  Even if the music wasn't going to be good, you should support this because Allen is a great guy.  But this is East Nashville and the music is going to be spectacular.  Even if Allen wasn't a great guy, you should go because the music is going to spectacular.  But Allen is a great guy.


On to the Friday Shuffle!

"Auto Pilot" by Rich Robbins (prod. Bitoy Beatz)

You know some people who dig the kind of roots rock and roll that I dig, often will make blanket statements about how much they don't like "hip hop".  That is okay I guess - I mean all music is subjective and all, but it seems rather short-sighted to dismiss an entire genre/an entire culture so easily. I mean, I get that some people like three chords played on a real electric guitar, with a bass and drums and whatever... Heck, I like those things.  The things that most often attracts me to good hip hop are the beats and the words. I'm a sucker for words that hit the truth hard.  Rich Robbins' words hit the truth hard, and his music always has great beats.

"Devil's Rope" by Tim Lee 3

A live recording of the title track from TL3's 2013 album.  Consider this a warm up because Tim Lee 3 are going to be in Nashville one week from tonight with R.B. Morris at the Basement (the original one).  Should be cool and a start to the great weekend of music.

"Dig a Little Deeper" by The McCrary Sisters

Here at E2TG we always like point/counter-point kind of moments.  So... in that spirit, we offer up the Gospel Group The McCrary Sisters (the four daughters of one of the founding members of The Fairfield Four) with this song.  The version I heard was from a World Café Session.  The accompanying video is from the Gospel Brunch at the 2013 Americana Music Fest - video shot at the legendary Station Inn.

"Only Son" by Shakey Graves

From Shakey Graves' 2014 album, And the War Came.  Yep, I kind of like that Shakey Graves...

"Lost Highway" by Jason and the Scorchers

Lost Highway is perhaps best known as a Hank Williams song, but it was actually written by Leon Payne - a blind Country Music singer-songwriter in 1948.  Jason and the Scorchers released their cover version on their 1985 album, Lost and Found.  It is one of my favorite songs.
"One More Time" by Joe Jackson

The opening track from Joe Jackson's Look Sharp! album.

"Rock and Roll is Cold" by Matthew E. White

Matthew E. White released his second solo album Fresh Blood back in March.  This is a song from that album.  Just catching up with his music now.  So far so good.

"I Feel So Good" by Richard Thompson

Whenever I feel really good, and I am going out for the night, I always find myself singing this song...  It could have been cool if RT would have played this song last Saturday night, but you know what he was such a great show, I can't even complain about the fact that he didn't play this song.  From Rumor and Sigh.

"Honey (I Miss You)" by Tammy Wynette

We close things out with Tammy Wynette's cover of a song made famous by Bobby Goldsboro. The song was written by Bobby Russell and originally recorded by Bob Shane of the Kingston Trio.  Wynette included the song on her 1969 album D-I-V-O-R-C-E.


VIDEO PLAYLIST




No comments:

Post a Comment