Monday, June 8, 2015

Monday Morning Music Shuffle - Artistic Freedom Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Monday after a productive weekend of writing...  look for some of that productivity to be posted soon and some later than soon...

"Changing of the Guard" by Jesse Terry

After posting a song from Jesse Terry for a Noisetrade sampler, I figured out we have several mutual friends on Facebook, and I got hold of a new album - also available on Noisetrade called The Calm and The Storm.  This song is from that album. 

"Millionaire's Dream" by John Wesley Harding

I will go with calling this a deep cut from Why We Fight? In this sense, the term means that as much I love this album and can immediately identify almost all of the songs on the album when they begin to play, I had to give this one a thorough listen.  I like it, and I'm not really sure why it didn't stick in my brain the way others songs from the album did.

"I Wanna Lose Control" by Deathray

This song is from the soundtrack of the animated movie, Open Season.  That soundtrack featured several songs by Replacements' front man Paul Westerberg.  For some reason, my music player identified this song as being by Paul Westerberg.  Interestingly enough, if this had been a Paul Westerberg song, I would have viewed it as a disturbing point in his career, but realizing it was not Westerberg but a California New Wave/Pop band that existed from 1998-2007 made all the difference, and I kind of dig the song in a light and airy kind of way.

"All Mod Cons" by The Jam


The title track from one of my favorite albums of all time by one of my favorite bands of all time.  Man those Brits had something going on in the latter part of the 1970s.


"Truth or Consequence" by Susan James

Susan James' new album Sea Glass is due out in just over a week.  On the record, James has shed much of the Americana vide of her last album, Driving Toward the Sun (2013) which was excellent in it's own right.  Here, the California singer-songwriter embraces her roots and makes a classic California Pop record for the current day. 

"Philosophize In It! Chemicalize With It!" by Kishi Bashi

This was part of the World Café 100 song download I recently posted about.  Kishi Bashi is the recording project of  Kaoru Ishibashi (Jupiter One, Of Montreal, Regina Spektor).  This song is from the 2014 album Lighght and was performed on The Late Show with David Letterman.

"Someday" by Steve Earle

 A great song from Steve Earle's classic Guitar Town album.  Ear to the Ground favorite Lindsay Ellyn performed a cover of this song at her recent EP Release show.

"Stacy Main" by Black Vincent

Black Vincent is a new project from Coley Kennedy (Welcome to Ashley, The Buddies).  The album was recorded in Nashville by producers Adam Landry and Justin Collins.  I dig this song quite a bit, and I look forward to digging into the rest of the album. 

"You're Not Alone" by Tiffany Huggins Grant

Another song from Jonquil Child, the forthcoming (July 7) album by Nashville singer-songwriter Tiffany Huggins Grant.  The album was produced by and features Ear to the Ground favorite Mark Robinson among other Nashville heavyweights. For me the stand out feature of this album are the stunning vocals by Tiffany Huggins Grant. 

"She Knows What To Do" by Stacy Mitchhart

We shall close out of first shuffle of the week with another Nashville stand out.  We have been featuring songs from Stacy Mitchhart's Live My Life album, and we just have one track left after this one.  This is real live, uncompromising Blues music.  Mitchhart can be found just about any night down in Printer's Alley in downtown Nashville laying it down at Bourbon Street Blues and Boogie Bar.



VIDEO PLAYLIST




1 comment:

  1. "Starry Starry Night" almost beat out "American Pie" as my favorite song off that Don MacLean album -- love this very by Jesse Terry

    ReplyDelete