Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Wednesday Morning Music Shuffle - I Was Never There Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

I am reasonable certain that late teens early 20s me did not give a whole lot of thought to what I would be doing 25-30 years later. I'm pretty sure, though, that that kid would be surprised to find out that I was going to ride a bus to Franklin, Tennessee to watch Webb Wilder, Bill Lloyd, Warner Hodges, and Government Cheese, and that I would be able to drink free beer on that bus. Not to mention that the whole show was going to be broadcast to the whole world over something called the Internet.  I'm not even sure what part of that would be most surprising... Nevertheless, that is what I will be doing - riding the Blackstone Bus to Music City Roots to see some true living legends who I have been listening to and watching for over half my life. It's gonna be good.  http://musiccityroots.com/  - Tune in at 7:00pm Central Time and click the Watch Live button.

"Pure As Coal" by Tim Carroll

Just about every Friday night promptly at 6:00p.m., The 5 Spot in East Nashville hosts one of the cities best recurring events. Tim Carroll and his band (which currently includes Cameron Carrus on bass, Toby Caldwell on drums, and Luella Wood on backing and lead vocals and tambourine always begin on time (Carroll carries a clock with him to every show) and they always keep playing until 8:30 (unless subsequent event forces them to stop at 8:00).  No set breaks - just pure rock and roll for the happy hour so happy it takes 2 and half hours to contain.  The drinks are cheap, the music is great, and the company is outstanding.  Surprisingly, there is plenty of room (reportedly there is room to spin a cat but I do not condone cat spinning so please don't try that). Anyway, this is the title track from Tim's latest album which you just might hear if you come on down.  I chose a video performance of this song from a Music City Roots set in celebration of the show I am attending tonight. 

"Woman At the Well" by Israel Nash

This is the lead track Rain Plans, the most recent album by Israel Nash. The music is described as "Desert Folklore", and I would tend to agree.  This recording was one of the World Café sessions that I have been featuring of late.

"Shotgun" by Bad Cop


From the EP  Wish You Well...And Goodbye.  Bad Cop are a Nashville band and primarily the project of Jeffery Drag Records founder Adam Moult. Ear to the Ground has featured Bad Cop several times in the past, and I always love when one of their songs makes it's way in to the shuffle.


"Ohio" by Darrin Bradbury

From the Tur-Lyfe album.  Expect some new music from Darrin Bradbury soon. Since I couldn't find a video of this song, I am reposting his 2015 CXCW Video of one of his newer songs, Elmwood Park.

"Back Door Front Porch" by Shelby Lynne

From her latest album, I Can't Imagine which was released last month.  Shelby Lynne is the real deal. 

"Get Work, Find Plans" by Batkhi Dahn

The avant-garde Connecticut band, Batkhi Dahn is back with another track from their Play 15 album.  The band cites Violent Femmes, Sleater-Kinney, and Daniel Johnston among their influences. Dig it.

"Hot Dang" by Dale Watson

Ameripolitan standard bearer Dale Watson released his latest album, Call Me Insane yesterday.  This is our first listen to that album, but it will not be our last.

"Don't Think About You Anymore" by Brock Zeman

Pulling Your Sword Out of the Devil's Back is the latest album from Canadian singer-songwriter Brock Zeman.  He is one of the most unique voices in music, and I had the amazing opportunity to see him play as part of a stellar songwriter's round at the Bluebird Café last month.

"Release" by Aztec Camera

And we close out the day with another track from Aztec Camera's fantastic 1983 debut album.  "Release" is Roddy Frame at his very best - an emotionally satisfying, purely crafted pop song - simple and direct with a powerful hook.  


VIDEO PLAYLIST




No comments:

Post a Comment