Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Tuesday Morning Music Shuffle - Upon My Liars Chair Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Visit Our Events Page Ear to the Ground Events!

I hope you have had a chance to check out the Ear to the Ground Events Page (link above).  I made some updates last night around 9:00p.m. Central Time.  I will try to make updates throughout the week, but I'm not able to constantly update.  If you have an upcoming event, either invite me on Facebook or send me the information.

We have a short but sweet shuffle today... 5 of the 6 songs have a Nashville connection (6 of 6 if you get really loose and creative in making connections)... read on....

"Turning" by Paul Zografi

Paul Zografi is a Nashville based songwriter.  I met him at a Tim Carroll show a couple of months back and got hold of his latest album, Bright which was released back in October 2014.  It is an excellent record, and I am glad a song finally popped up in my shuffle.  You will be hearing more.  Turning is the last song on the album even if it is the first we have featured.

"Hurt" (nine inch nails cover) by Samuel Claiborne and the True Groove All-Stars

From my friends at True Groove Records... the only song in the shuffle without a direct Nashville connection unless you count the Johnny Cash cover of this song.  Samuel Clairborne's version of the Nine Inch Nails classic mixes a generous but understated industrial sound with an intense and low-key vocal delivery.  There were moments that to me it sounded somewhat like if Leonard Cohen experimented with Industrial music with the best possible results.  This is from an amazing album called Recovered which features many of my favorite True Groove artists covering classic songs from a variety of genres.  More to come from this record.

"Ocean" by Carl Anderson

Carl Anderson is based in Nashville now.  This song goes back to his 2012 album Wolftown.  I grabbed it from a Noisetrade sampler that came out ahead of the release of his latest album Risk of Loss which remains one of my favorite albums of the year.

"Friends With Motorcycles" by Black Vincent

Black Vincent's album Teardrop Deluxe was recorded in Nashville, and it, too, is one of my favorites of the year so far. In the video playlist, we have an earlier version of the song featuring Black Vincent bandleader Coley Kennedy. 

"Is It You?" by Drew Kohl

Nashville (by way of Athens, GA) songwriter Drew Kohl celebrated a birthday on Sunday.  This is a song from his EP Sweetheart which I reviewed earlier this year, and it features one of Kohl's trademark sustained notes that makes me short of breath just to hear. His songs have such an ease to them - easy listening in the best sense of that oft maligned term.

"Walking on the Levee" by Kevin Gordon

We close out the day with another Nashville songwriter and bit of a sneak peak (sort of) into his forthcoming new album Long Time Gone which is scheduled for release in September... I will have much more to say about this new album in the weeks leading up to its release, but (spoiler alert) it is going to be a good one!  I have had the good fortune to see Gordon play several shows here in Nashville over the last couple of months, and he blows me out of the water every single time.  Obviously, since the song is unreleased, the video I've added to the playlist is not this song, but it is a much older Kevin Gordon "Levee" song.


VIDEO PLAYLIST

No comments:

Post a Comment