Monday, August 10, 2015

Monday Morning Music Shuffle - Comes in Torrents/Sink or Swim Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Visit Our Events Page Ear to the Ground Events!


Welcome to the week... it looks like this is going to be a short week for me, so expect some inconsistent Morning Shuffles... check back periodically and I know I will be back as soon as possible.

First, I had a great time at The Tomato Art Fest in East Nashville on Saturday.  Saw some great music and got to hang out with a bunch of great friends.  Sorry to everyone I missed.

In the shuffle we have some cool tunes... so let us not delay...

"Strike You Down" by Indigenous Engines

We start out this week with a song from one of my favorite Nashville songwriters, Andrew Adkins with a track off of Witches - one of two EPs out from his new project called Indigenous Engines. I dig it.

"Susan Scorned" by Bill Lloyd

Bill Lloyd's first solo album (I think) Feeling the Elephant remains one of my favorite albums of all time. I had it on vinyl and then picked up the CD when it was reissued early in the 90s.  It is an amazing slice of pure pop heaven.  Susan Scorned as always been among my favorite tracks on the album - though to be honest, I can't think of  track from the album that is not a favorite.  "When  it rains, it comes in torrents..." 

"Broken Face" by Pixies

Just because every Monday needs some Pixies.  Off of the classic Surfer Rosa album.

"Odyssey" by Rival Consoles

Rival Consoles is from London and plays Electronic music. This track is the title number from an EP.  The song came to me via a Noisetrade Sampler from the Big Ears Music Festival which was held in Knoxville, Tennessee back in the early spring/late winter.

"Hey Mr. Grey" by Bob Mould

From his 2014 album Beauty and Ruin... Bob Mould shows that it is possible to keep rocking harder and harder no matter how many years go by.  My Mount Rushmore of American Rock gods would have Mr. Mould right in the middle.... who else?

"Ordinary Weekend" by John Wesley Harding

From Why the Fight? The artist formerly known as John Wesley Harding with one of my favorite songs of his.  "Sink or Swim".

"One Tear at a Time" by The Sky Kings

Having two appearances by Bill Lloyd in the shuffle is never a bad thing.  This one is from the Supergroup that he was a part of.  This album was made in (and eventually named) 1992 but just saw the light of day at the end of 2014.  It was not only worth the wait, but like all great music, it was timeless and wonderful.  

"Please, Be Kind" by The Colored Parade

Completing our completely random frame of today's shuffle, we close out the shuffle where we began with an track from an Andrew Adkin's album.  This one is from his band, The Colored Parade - the album is called, And the Walls of the City Will Shake.  A pretty cool way to end the first and (maybe) the last shuffle of the week.


VIDEO PLAYLIST


No comments:

Post a Comment