Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Tuesday Morning Music Shuffle - Pretty Vacant Eyes Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Okay... so I'm running late with today's shuffle, but I have a good reason.  At lunch, when I usually finishing writing this thing and get it posted to the Ear to the Ground Facebook Page (which you should "Like" if you haven't but I digress), I went to the Downtown Public Library to see a songwriting round with Marshall Chapman, Mary Gauthier, and Malcolm Holcomb - because that is what we do at lunchtime in Nashville....

Onward, I have to be quick - I'm heading out in a bit to see three people I've featured on Ear to the Ground at $2 Tuesday at The 5 Spot in East Nashville - Joe Nolan, Angela Easterling, and Carl Anderson are all on the bill.  Did I mention it's $2 Tuesday?



"Doing Laundry Late on a Cold Southern City Night" by Bashful Hips

Another from the album, Too Old for a Coming of Age Story... I think the song title pretty much sums this one up.  Dig it.

"Davisville" by Jelena Ciric

I connected to this through some of my Toronto friends - like Valued Customer (but I cannot remember who posted it).  Gorgeous music.  Really! Check it out!

"Radio Love" by The Poorhouse Says

Another from the St. Louis band. The album is called, As Patterns Go, and I recommend it.  Crisp Americana/folk-rock stuff.

"Everything Changes" by Judah and the Lion

This band is enthusiastic and youthful, and singing about the passage of time and how things change.  Just wait... just wait. From a Noisetrade Sampler.  The song is on their debut album, Kids These Days which was released just about a year ago. I'll bet a bunch has changed since then.

"Pretty Vacant" (live) by Sex Pistols

Because it seems almost obligatory to have a bootleg quality live Sex Pistols track in the shuffle at some point, and why not now? "We're so pretty..." 
 
"Little Tiny Lady in a Big Black Vest" by Batkhi Dahn

I have a bunch of Batkhi Dahn and other assorted Hayden Nork side projects in my playlist, so no you are not imagining that one of them comes up just about every day.  Like the first song in today's shuffle, this title pretty much tells the story of the song... or does it?  

"Betty Was Black (and Willie Was White)" by Tommy Womack

A couple of weeks ago - back at the tail end of Tomato Fest, Tommy Womack played his first official show after his serious car accident.  He was backed by the Mark Robinson Band and joined by the supremely talented Lisa Oliver Gray.  It was a pretty awesome way to end a pretty awesome day.  He did this song - which was first released on the self-titled album by The Bis-Quits, the early 90s band that featured Tommy, Will Kimbrough, Mike Grimes (of Grimey's and the Basements (West and East)), and Tommy Meyer on drums.  Later, Todd Snider included the song on his album Happy to Be Here.  This version comes from Tommy Womack's album Washington D.C. 

"Those Eyes" by Sammy Brue

Recently, I have had a couple of opportunities to reflect on having hope for the future based upon the incredible music being made by young people.  If I made a list, Sammy Brue would be up near the top if not at the top.  This fourteen year old singer-songwriter from Utah is not just a great young songwriter, he is a great songwriter.  He recently played showcase at the Newport Folk Fest with some of the finest people working today - like Aaron Lee Tasjan, John Moreland, and Joe Fletcher (who will be wrapping up his residency at The 5 Spot tomorrow night with Brian Wright).  I am quite sure Sammy Brue held his own just fine.  Here's to many years of watching Sammy Brue continue to grow and improve.  It's going to be scary good!


VIDEO PLAYLIST

         

No comments:

Post a Comment