Thursday, September 3, 2015

Thursday Morning Music Shuffle - Struggle in Dark Corners Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

So last night - on my way to see Jon Latham play a killer set at The 5 Spot opening for Cody Brooks, who I saw for the first time and was blown away by - I encountered an overturned car (I hope everyone was okay), a slow moving train, and a couple of trucks inexplicably parked in the middle of the road.  But I made it and it was worth it.  I then resisted peer pressure and went home an wrote a review of an album that is coming out tomorrow.  I should have the review posted tonight or so, and I will let you know...

Tonight 90,000 people are supposed to descend upon downtown Nashville for several different events going on.  My advice - stay out of downtown and instead cross the river for week one David Olney's September residency at The 5 Spot. Last years, residency was absolutely incredible (one show began with a dramatic recitation of Kubla Khan for goodness sakes!). What will happen this time around? To quote Mr. Olney, "You never know."

Today's shuffle only contains 6 songs, but man oh man...

"Sphinx" by Syd Straw

Syd Straw, who is known among other things as vocalist for the supergroup Golden Palominos, at one time sang backup for Pat Benatar (according to Wikipedia so odds are even if that is true).  Her debut solo album, Surprise, was released in 1989 and immediately blew my 23 year old mind (that is according to me personal wiki of my mind, so I know it is true).  "Sphinx" is one of my favorite songs on the album (and if I've said that about most of the songs on the album, it is only because it is the truth).

"Liner Notes" by Benchmarks

The band formerly known as Todd Farrell and the Dirty Birds is one of my favorite Nashville bands. American Night is one of the best local releases of 2015.  If you ever get a chance to see this band live, do it!  They put on a hell of a show.  Liner Notes has been a favorite of mine since the first time I heard it.

"The Witch is Gone" by Batkhi Dahn

From Plays 15... I continue to be blown away by the talent of these Connecticut kids.  The more I listen to Batkhi Dahn, the more I realize how great an album it is. So original. Honestly, even if Hayden Nork were 23 or 33 or 43 (as opposed to being 13 as he was when this was made and released) it would be an equally impressive effort.

"Hazey"  (Boody Remix) by Glass Animals

This one came to me from the Noisetrade Bonnaroo Sampler.  Glass Animals are an English Indie Rock band. This song is from their debut album, Zaba, which was released in 2014.

"Jawbone" by Jim Lauderdale

Jim Lauderdale has had  songs recorded by artists ranging from Elvis Costello to George Strait. He is the host of Music City Roots, the weekly concert series broadcast live from Franklin, Tennessee and which is rebroadcast on PBS stations around the country.  I got to see him perform at the Safety Harbor Song Fest earlier this year, and I even was on the same plane coming back to Nashville.   This song comes from his 2010 album Patchwork River which was a songwriting collaboration with the legendary Robert Hunter.

"Jungleland" by Bruce Springsteen

The recent 40th Anniversary of the release of Born to Run, prompted me to load that album into my playlist once again. It has probably only been 34 or 35 years since I first heard "Jungleland" on the local college radio station.  The nine minute song seemed to go on forever, and I hung on every note and every word.  I also heard Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side" that night, and I still view that as an important step in my development as a music fan.


VIDEO PLAYLIST


No comments:

Post a Comment