Monday, October 12, 2015

Monday Morning Music Shuffle - Put the Blame on VTR Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Songs of the Road is a pretty awesome concept - take a songwriter on a relatively short road trip, have them write a song along the way, and then record the song and play it live that same day.  SongCraft Presents and Acoustic CafĂ© have teamed up with Ford Motor Company to make this happen.  I had the great pleasure of premiering the latest session on No Depression this morning.  I really hope you will check it out.  HERE.  Ear to the Ground readers may recognize SongCraft Present's Ben Arthur - who works with the featured songwriters.  Ben's own music has been featured here several times.  Matthew Hendershot of our very good friends, The End Men also works on the video side of the project. 

Today's shuffle is a real mixed bag...  so let's get to it....

"Spider Queen Take 2" by The Hidden Agendas

Okay I don't know if Take 2 is part of the title or just how the file was labeled. I think the important thing here is the Spider Queen part. The Hidden Agendas are a Pennsylvania Rock and Roll band who made through the disorganized mess that is my E-Mail.  I really like this and can't wait to here more.  The video we found is a performance by the band doing a Lady Gaga cover.

"Skip the Line" by Sugar and the Hi Lows

Sugar and the Hi Lows are a band we featured on Ear to the Ground a few years ago. They are a duo made up of Amy Stroup and Trent Dabbs - long time Nashville artists who were part of Ten out of Tenn collective. Their latest album High Roller was released back in June, and around that time, Noisetrade released a bunch of older music including this song from the band's 2012 self-titled album.

"Sound of Erasing" by Rubblebucket

From the album Survival Sounds which was released back in May.  Rubblebucket keep showing up on multi-artist compilations that Noisetrade puts outs. I think this one came from a compilation for the Hangout Music Fest, but don't quote me on that.  They are from Brooklyn, and I dig what they are doing.

"If You Want Love" by Christopher Aaron Slade

Another that came to me via e-mail.  We are been featuring Christopher Aaron Slade for several months.  It is gloriously fun music.  Trivia:  When I was saving the MP3s to my computer, I accidently typed Christopher Allen Slade.  So, every time a song comes up, I have to mentally correct it before I write the blog post.  And yes, I know I could just correct the file, but I am too damn lazy for that.

"Tonight I Feel Like Crying" by Tom Schreck

A day with a Tom Schreck song is a good day.  This is one of my favorites of his.  I have a lot of favorites of his but out of all of those favorites this is definitely one.  By the way, we've included Schreck's cover of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" just because we have not posted that video in a while.

"Video Killed the Radio Star" by Ben Folds Five

Nashville's Ben Folds Five with their cover of The Buggles hit song.  The Buggles original was the very first music video played on MTV.  Does anyone know what the last music video played on MTV was?

"No Hidin' Place" by Cool John Ferguson

Another from the Music Makers Relief Foundation.  Cool John Ferguson is a self-taught guitar player, who learned to play the guitar upside down.  Nobody told him it was upside down, and by the time he found out, he was too good to change.

"You Don't Care For Me Enough to Cry" by John Moreland

One of the most devastating songs on John Moreland's incredible and devastating album High On Tulsa Heat.  I have had the great fortune of seeing him live a number of times this year, and he never fails to silence and audience and bring grown people to tears.   The video we have is from his April performance on the stage of Music City Roots.  If you watch the video, at the 2:22 mark you will see two of Music City's blogging elite enraptured by his music.  (Chase from Too Much Country and Joe from Ear to the Ground).



VIDEO PLAYLIST




             

No comments:

Post a Comment