Friday, November 6, 2015

Featured Friday Morning Music Shuffle - Usually From a Can Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Had a good time last night celebrating Andrew Leahey's birthday at The 5 Spot.  Darrin Bradbury was on point with a set that featured some old favorites and some excellent new (and newish) songs.  Lauren Farrah was most excellent - I have been fortunate enough to catch her a few times recently, and she kills it every time.  And the birthday boy rocked this house with his incredible band, The Homestead - playing several songs from his record which is due out in April.

On to the shuffle: Almost every Friday is Featured Friday on #E2TG.  Which means, I shuffle songs from a playlist (a subset of the regular playlist) loaded with songs from artists/albums that I want to spotlight.  Here is the latest....



"Making My Escape" by All the King's Men

All the King's Men are a Manchester band who offer a kind of modern take on classic rock (in the best sense of that term).  This song is the title track from their new album which I believe will be released at the end of this month. 

"Your Own Best Friend" by D.L. Duncan

We have another song from D.L. Duncan's awesome self-titled album. I really love this song.  It is "feel good" music of the highest caliber. I can't remember if I mentioned it yesterday, but Sonny Landreth also contributed some awesome slide guitar on this album.

"Franklin Town" by Richie Owens and the Farm Bureau

Richie Owens and the Farm Bureau released Tennessee well over a year ago, but I really wanted to feature it now, because I want more people to check it out.  This is the second track on the album - which is a history lesson about the Volunteer State set against a grooving roots rock soundtrack.

"Nimbus (Ta-Ku Interpretation)" by Rich Robbins

Today we have the title track from Rich Robbins amazing debut album, Nimbus.  Robbins has a way with words, and I really love what he is doing here.  I feel utterly unqualified to comment on this as a hip hop record, I just know that I love it.

"Swan Jeremy" by The Foresters

Another one from Sun Songs, the stunning recent album by The Foresters of Bethany, Connecticut.  The growth and maturity of this young band over the last couple of years that I have been following them, is nothing short of unbelievable.  Forming after attending a Green Day show and initially writing and recording some excellent pop/punk music.  The hard work and dedication they seem to be putting into their art and their craft is inspiring and admirable.  The result is that Sun Songs is at once one of my favorite records of the year and clearly just a taste of what we can hope to see in the future from the band.  

"Picture Perfect" by The Poorhouse Says

Our friends from St. Louis return to the shuffle with another track from their album As Patterns Go.  I highly recommend checking out the band and the album.  Hearing this reminds me that I am very overdue to reply to a message from these guys. Sorry and expect something this weekend.

"The Fearless Seed" by The Unravelling

Another dose of progressive metal from Tear a Hole in the Collective Vision.

"The Trouble with Drinkin'" by Aaron Lee Tasjan   

And, we close out the shuffle and the work week with the lead track from In the Blazes which upon its release transitioned from being one of the most highly anticipated albums of the year to one of the best.  There are just a handful of writers working today to write songs that are funny, intelligent, moving, and that leads you to tell everyone you know to check it out. Aaron Lee Tasjan is at the top of that list.  He will be in Memphis tonight.  His performance with an all-star band at the Americana kick-off event and more recently at his Nashville release show at The Basement provided some of the best and most entertaining music that I have ever experienced.  And this song!



VIDEO PLAYLIST



       

No comments:

Post a Comment