Thursday, November 5, 2015

Thursday Morning Music Shuffle - Lost in the Stars Mix



We are less than 50 "Likes" away from 500! So.... Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

So...  yeah.... it was almost 80 yesterday in Nashville - on November 4. Don't worry, though, we are sure to have freeze in the near future.  That is autumn in Nashville. I'm not sure if it is the volatile weather or allergies or what, but I have really not felt all that great this week.  But, life goes on, and so do the Ear to the Ground Morning Music Shuffles.... 

"28 Cents" by Broken Guru

I have been digging on Bent Up Halo from New York Alt. Rock band Broken Guru for a while now.  I think this is the penultimate song for us from that album.

"That Ain't Love" (Live at Eastside Manor) by David Ramirez

Austin Texas singer/songwriter released his latest album, Fables, a couple of months ago.  This is a live version of a song from that album which was recorded live at the wonderful Eastside Manor Studios in East Nashville.

"King of You" by Wilco

Another track from the recent Wilco album that has everyone wondering, "Where's Luke?".... #goofystarwarsjoke  hashtag #whydidIuseahashtag

"Beating of Your Heart" by The Silent War

The Silent War is a collaboration between Garrison Starr and AG (Adrianne Gonzalez of The Rescues).   Expect their debut album soon.  This track came from a Noisetrade sampler called Introducing The Silent War. 

"Bertha" (Live) by Grateful Dead

So, I have a few guiding principles in writing Ear to the Ground.  First and always foremost on my mind is being open to new music.  I also try to keep an open mind and allow my pre-conceived notions to be challenged.  Here is where I am going with that: musical interests and tastes form over time... for me, it has involved following certain rabbit holes and roots and branches of music.  The flipside of that means that some branches, I just have never followed. Many reasons for that... what my friends were into when I was younger, maybe some personal biases against the idea of something... what I am trying to say, is that for the most part, the Grateful Dead have been an underexplored branch of music for me.  For me having an open mind means being open to the voices of the universe and lately the universe has been dropping Grateful Dead references into my life - mainly via people who's music I really love referencing or covering the Dead.  A long way to say, I grabbed this live version of Bertha (which  I saw Los Lobos cover during Americana Fest) which is from a Live recording from San Francisco in 1972. 
 "Big Hit" by Violentures

The Violentures are a Surf Garage Punk band from Brazil. Kind of if The Ventures had been influenced by Punk and Garage Rock music.  From that Continental Magazine CD, I have been spinning of late.

"Night" by Bruce Springsteen

2015 marks the 40th anniversary of the release of Bruce Springsteen's seminal album, Born to Run.  I think Born to Run is a near perfect Rock and Roll album.  It's big and bombastic and bold and also poetic.  "Night" is not my favorite song on the album, but there are not any songs on the record that I do not love.

"Sending Me Angels" by D.L. Duncan

D.L. Duncan plays straight ahead, no frills Blues music.  That is meant as a compliment.  To me that means, a smooth, well-played, well-produced album that places the listener deep into a groove and then keeps them company.
His new self-titled CD was released in August.  The album was recorded in Nashville and in Lafayette, Louisiana. This song is one of only two on the album not written or co-written by Duncan.  The song was written by Frankie Miller and Jerry Lynn Williams and has been recorded by a number of artists including Delbert McClinton who is part of Duncan's band on the album.  The album also features contributions from Guthrie Trapp and The McCrary Sisters. 

"Little Details" by Brock Zeman

Our last track from Brock Zeman's album, Pulling Your Sword Out of the Devil's Back.  Nashville, you have two chances to catch Zeman and Blair Hogan next week.  First Monday, they will be playing the early show at The Family Wash along with Darrin Bradbury who will be playing with Megan Palmer.   Then on Tuesday, Zeman and Hogan will be at The Five Spot for Derek Hoke's $2 Tuesday.  Check him out!

"Should've Known Better" by Low Society

Facebook just told me that I have been friends with Sturgis Nikides for one year today.  In a moment of good time, the shuffle brings up a song from his band, Low Society from Memphis.  From the album, You Can't Keep a Good Woman Down... some down and dirty Blues...

VIDEO PLAYLIST






No comments:

Post a Comment