Thursday, November 19, 2015

Thursday Morning Music Shuffle - What We Want to Be Mix


Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Okay - posting late.  Life happens sometimes.  Here's some stuff:

Coming soon, the 1st Annual #E2TG Awards 2015 - which I am calling The Earies (tagline: The Earies, it sounds strange, but it's not really).  Watch for this beginning after Thanksgiving.

Last night, an awesome show at The original Basement.  Actual Wolf  killed it with the kind of band that really only happens in Nashville  (Adam Kurtz, Jerry Pentecost, Paul Niehaus, Stephanie Dickinson with Nellie Clay joining on bgvs)    After that 14 year old wunderkind Sammy Brue had the audience enraptured with his incredible songs.

Really proud that my review of Dan Penn at City Winery in on the front page of No Depression right now.  Check it out, if you haven't.  Nodepression.com

Shuffle (short descriptions)


"Walk Out to Winter" by Aztec Camera

Another track from High Land, Hard Rain.  Seemed about right, as I was driving through the chilly morning with my driver's side window stuck down.

"Blue Highways" by Darrin Bradbury

A live version of what is probably my favorite Darrin Bradbury song. (I like Bob, too - which Darrin always dedicates to me and to which I gave a face).  Brian Wright does an awesome version of this this song.

"Summer School" by Liquor Giants

So, I didn't know who Liquor Giants were until I just looked them up. I really dug the song, though.  Liquor Giants was a band formed by Ward Dotson after Pontiac Brothers which he joined after leaving Gun Club.  Ah, makes sense why this was so cool. Kind of nifty 60s Pop vibe.  

"Pinned" by Shovels and Rope

From their 2014 album Swimmin' Time - I nabbed this off Noisetrade.  It may still be there.  Go look.

"Caretaker" by The End Men

Our 2013 Band of the Year made one of 2015's best albums, Terms and Conditions which finds the signature sound of the band augmented by some awesome saxophone work from Matthew Elia.  

"Moonlight" by Atticus Floyd

Atticus Floyd is now recording under the name The Jolly Light Connection. When I downloaded this, she was recording under Atticus Floyd. From an album called We'll All Come Down.  It's really cool.  For the video, I selected the joyful, animated story of Atticus' first show.  It's really cool, too.  The Jolly Light Connection is part of Dord Music Group.

"Let No Woman" by Guitar Gabriel

Some awesome acoustic blues from the folks at Music Maker Relief Foundation.

"Perfect Day" by Nico Vega

I really like this cover of one of my favorite (among many favorites) Velvet Underground song.  It was apparently used in a Lifetime movie about Lizzie Borden.  Sounds about right.

"headlights" by ricky mirage

The album is called Pop Goes the Sun.  Ricky Mirage is Nick Harris.  I dig this album a bunch. I found it from a random post I saw on a friend's Facebook page.  I could not find an appropriate video, so here is a link to the song.







VIDEO PLAYLIST



1 comment: