Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Wednesday Morning Music Shuffle - In the Middle of the Land Mix


Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

We are back after an unexpected day off... my late fall cold finally caught up with me.  Before I succumbed to it, I got to take in an awesome show at City Winery.  Songwriting legend (and I do not use that term lightly here) Dan Penn celebrated his 74th birthday with a nearly 2 hour solo acoustic show performing many of the amazing songs that he was written and co-written over the course of his incredible career.  Hint: If you don't know who Dan Penn is, I guarantee that you have heard many of his songs.  Read my reflections on this show here.

Dan Penn wrote his first hit song when he was still in high school.  Sammy Brue is just 14 years old, and he is widely regarded as one of the best songwriters around.  He will be making a rare Nashville appearance tonight at The Basement (the original) with Actual Wolf (who I saw during the Campfire Propaganda residency at last month). Actual Wolf will be back by a fine collection of local players.

Today's shuffle went down like this....



"Right Time" by Nikki Lane

All or Nothin' is the latest album from red hot Nashville artist, Nikki Lane.  If you have not caught up with her yet, now is the right time...

"Once in a Very Blue Moon" by Nanci Griffith

Another from that amazing Rounder Records anniversary compilation on Noisetrade, and one of my all time favorite songs.  I first heard this on one of those Steal This Disk CD releases back in the day. Just a flat out gorgeous song from one of the finest voices of all time.

"Lee Harvey Was a Friend of Mine" by Homer Henderson

I'm just going to leave this right here.  I grabbed this song from a compilation called, Tragic Songs from the Grassy Knoll which was released a couple of years ago.  I snagged this track off Freegal.  The song itself dates back to around 1985 when it was released as a single.  The song has been covered by Laura Cantrell  and by The Asylum Street Spankers.
"Over the Red Cedar" by Charlie Parr

This song, from Minnesota singer-songwriter Charlie Parr, is off of his album Stumpjumper which was released back in April of this year. If I had read that it was a twenty or thirty or forty year old song, I would not have batted an eye.  It has a timeless sound.


"In the Middle of the Land" by Hoodoo Gurus

Giving us the sub-title to today's post... from their Blow Your Cool! album.  I love this band.

"With a Girl Like You" by Alex Chilton

Making a connection to Monday night's show - Dan Penn produced the first hit single from Alex Chilton's old band, The Box Tops and co-wrote a couple of other songs for that band.  This is a cover version of a song by The Troggs  which was included on the compilation 19 Years: A Collection of Alex Chilton which was released in 1991.  That is where I came upon the track.

"Killin' It In California" by Jeremy Nash

Another from Jeremy Nash's new album Getaway Driver.  This is one of my favorite songs which I have heard him perform live a couple of times.  Filled with the bitter chill of loss and regret and winter.

"Mexican Amphetamines" by Ben Arthur

Another from Ben Arthur's Call and Response record. Ben is one of my favorite songwriters and his Call and Response album demonstrates the innovation and fun he brings to the art and craft of songwriting.

"Beautiful Jane" by Brian Carpenter and the Confessions

This is another track from The Far End of the World.  This new album by Boston musician Brian Carpenter has emerged as of my favorites of 2015.

"Mess Around" by Cage the Elephant

At long last, new music from Bowling Green rockers, Cage the Elephant.  This is the first single from their forthcoming album, Tell me I'm Pretty which is due out in about a month.


VIDEO PLAYLIST

2 comments: