Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Joe's Birthday Week - Tuesday Night 1/12/2016



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


Ug!  I had a doctor's appointment this morning and a busy day, and I'm heading back out for the fourth night of my birthday week - so I am going to have to punt on the shuffle today.  Sorry.  All the songs (which were really awesome) will go back into the hopper for another day.

Here is a recap of last night's musical adventures...

 The third stop on the Birthday Week Express was at The Basement (the original one on 8th Avenue) for a showcase featuring "Earie" Award winning  Sara Syms and her awesome band.  Sara played songs from her latest album Way Back Home.  By now, I am certain you have read my review and gotten your copy...  Here is a link to my review.

After that, I headed across the river to $2 Tuesday with Derek Hoke.  This is one of East Nashville's best events. I have never once been disappointed.  Last night was exceptional.  I had heard about Ian Fitzgerald from a number of my songwriting friends, and I pleased to find out he was on the bill.  Ian is from Boston, and I really dug is songs. 

Ashleigh Flynn had also been recommended and introduced to me.  Backed by fiddle player, Kathryn Claire, Flynn said her songs were mostly about whiskey and women.  I particularly liked the song she wrote after playing an open mic night at the Bluebird Café. Some great humor and the music was smoking.  A magical moment happened when Ashley Flynn noting a poster over the bar, launched into an awesome cover of Todd Snider's "Play a Train Song", and Snider wandered on stage to sing along with the refrain.

Next up was Derek Hoke - who sounding amazing as always.

Suzy Oleson and her band sounded fantastic.

Special note: DJ Tim Hibbs played songs with the theme of Heroes and Outcasts in honor of David Bowie, and as only he can moved with ease from Bowie to Charlie Rich with Red Simpson song honoring the country music legend who passed away last week. 

The night ended with Jon Langford (The Mekons, The Waco Brothers) playing his first ever show at The 5 Spot (I think that is what he said), and it was hands down one of the best sets I have seen a while.  He had an awesome band that included Grant Johnson, Pete Finney, and Paul Burch.

An awesome night three of my birthday week, and I got to see several good friends along the way.  The trip continues tonight with two stops - I will back at The 5 Spot early (6-8) for the second installment of the Jason Ringenberg Residency - his guest tonight: Peter Cooper!

Then, I will head to Mad Donna's for Brian Langlinais, Renee Wahl, and Simon Reid.

Shuffle returns tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment