Friday, February 26, 2016

Featured Friday Morning Music Shuffle - The Under-Overpass Mix




Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


We have reached Friday... which means another featured Friday shuffle coming up...

Still dealing with a change of seasons cold, but I did get out early last night for the final night of the Paul Burch residency at The 5 Spot.  As he did the first week, Kevin Gordon played guitar with Burch and his WPA Ball Club whose new album Meridian Rising is out today.  It was a really incredible show with special guest Emma Swift.  Beginning next week, Fats Kaplin and Kristi Rose  will hold down the Thursday early residency slot for the month of March (with the exception of St. Patrick's Day).  That promises to be outstanding.  I think The 5 Spots' early residency shows are one of the best things Nashville has going on, and looking ahead to the announced and rumored shows coming up, I think you will agree.

Once again, there is a ton of great music going on tonight.  My plans include stopping by the Tim Carroll Happy Hour and then moving over to Bobby's Idle Hour to see the Dark Horses of East Nashville (Amelia White, Julie Christensen, and Sergio Webb) and then to see how time and my cold are doing after that.

I am thinking about some tweaks to the E2TG format.  This is not E2TG v. 3.0 (that will come soon enough hopefully), but consider this E2TG v. 2.2 (or at least v. 2.1.1). I will work on that this weekend.

Shuffle time!



"Ocean Soul" by David G. Smith

David G. Smith is an amazing songwriter - I was fortunate enough to see him a few weeks ago in a round at The Bluebird CafĂ©.  This song is off of his latest album, First Love. This is a lovely song.

"Don't You Be Too Cool" by The Deadline Shakes

I keep using the word infectious to describe the music of The Deadline Shakes who are currently promoting their new album Zealots.  It is music so catchy, so groovy that it gets inside your head and forces you to feel it.  I have always been a total sucker for this kind of music, and The Deadline Shakes are about as good at it as anybody I have heard in a long time.

"As Far as Angels Go" by Lori Kelley

Songwriters are the bread and butter of Nashville.  Nashville has great players and great bands, but this music city has a long and complicated history of songs and the people who create them.  From professional songsmiths working out of offices on Music Row to "Outlaws" (first on the West End and now around East Nashville)... I have had the great privilege to meet a lot of really great songwriters here in Nashville.  Lori Kelley is one of them.  She came to Nashville by way of the D.C. area where she was part of successful duo (we have featured Cletus and Lori several times).  She just recently released a CD called More which features some of her newer songs (and co-writes).  This song is a tribute to her father.

"Flash Forward" by exedra

Flash Forward to the fourth song of the shuffle... Exedra is the new project featuring Jeremy Gluck.  I was listening to this one as I was driving on the bridge over the Cumberland River this morning...

"Made of Light" by Tymon Dogg

We're up to the title track from the latest album by Tymon Dogg who is best known for his work with the late Joe Strummer..

"Bone China Saviour" by Drew Worthley

This is our second listen from Crucible the new album by British singer-songwriter Drew Worthley. I found myself really listening to the words of this song, and I like it a lot.

"Afternoon" by The Foresters

Next up... this song was the first single from Sun Songs - the latest album by Connecticut siblings The Foresters.  The Foresters are the flagship band of the Dord Music Group, and as I mentioned yesterday, I have been following their incredible musical journey for nearly a fourth of their young lives. "Afternoon" really set the tone for the musical development and growth on display on Sun Songs.  Every time I hear this song, I find myself singing parts of it for hours after. 

"Hard Work Pays" by Sara Syms

And we close out the shuffle with one of my absolute favorite Nashville songwriters.  Sara Syms released Way Back Home toward the end of 2015, and I was fortunate enough to get to write all about it.  This track is a duet between Syms and co-producer Nick Africano, and I love the way the two voices sound together.



VIDEO PLAYLIST


1 comment: