Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Tuesday Morning Music Shuffle - I Don't Care Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

My sincere hope is that a large number of people saw John Moreland on Colbert last night and became instant fans. I realize that the possibility of seeing Moreland at The 5 Spot or the backyard at Fond Object may be less likely, but in my opinion this is important music that needs to be heard. One thing I try to do (both for myself and others) is just appreciate that someone discovers great music for themselves and not worry about when they made that discovery.  For me, I am glad I discovered John Moreland's music when I did (which was somewhat before anyone who discovered him last night and somewhat after a lot of my songwriter friends).

Let's move on into the shuffle:

"I Don't Care" by Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll has digitally released some new songs and new versions of older songs with his new band.  Three of those songs ended up on a homemade CD, which you can pick up most Fridays at The 5 Spot where Carroll and Luella and band hold court from 6-8:30.  This is one of my favorite of the new songs - although all of Tim Carroll's songs (and he has a bunch of them) are excellent.  The video we've included was directed by "Earie" award winner, Paul Zografi.

"At This Midnight Hour" by Tomas Doncker Band

Big Apple Blues was Tomas Doncker's ode to New York City. The album was released last year and features Pulitzer Prize winning poet Yusef Komunyakaa.  From that album, comes this track which sets a mood and groves.

"Over and Again" by Brian Wright and The Waco Tragedies

From the 2007 album, Bluebird... sometimes you things go on even when they are cracked and broken.

"Some Ol Dolls" by Tomas Doncker

Tomas Doncker's follow up to Big Apple Blues is The Mess We've Made - a powerful commentary of the what's going on. Social and racial injustice - again with a true groove that few can do as well as Tomas Doncker. Doncker is a veteran of the New York No Wave scene, and he recently completed six sold out nights with James Chance and the Contortions in Tokyo.

"The Cardinal" by Stone Cupid

The powerful and devastating lead and title track from the brand new album by Stone Cupid - the band fronted by Julie Christensen. The song is filled with brilliant imagery, and it is epic in its scope.

"Giving Up Redheads" by Leland Sundries

From The Foundry EP.  Another awesome song from the Brooklyn based indie-folk/Americana band.  I am electing not to comment on the sentiment of the song, but there is a chance I may or may not subscribe to it. I can neither confirm nor deny.

"Hot Party Dads" by Whiskey Shivers

Another from the wildly entertaining Austin old-time/bluegrass/folk/traditional band.  A short, but sweet rave up from the self-titled album.

"Swimmin' Time" by Shovels and Rope

And we close out the day with the title track from the 2014 album... It's up above 70 today in Nashville, and it seems like Swimmin' Time is just around the corner.  Ah, but winter is not over by a long shot.



VIDEO PLAYLIST

No comments:

Post a Comment