Monday, March 21, 2016

Music City Monday Morning Shuffle - The Road Got Blurry Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

So, spring has arrived and here in Nashville that has meant a brief cold snap. I seem to be over whatever it was that kind of knocked me out at the end of last week... ready to take on a new week. According to Facebook, I have 12 events with 51 friends coming up this week.  Fortunately, I do get Friday off work...

I did manage to venture out into a misty rain last night for a fine night of music at The Basement. Despite some vocal duress, Jon Latham was amazing as always.  Throwing a new song (for me anyway) into the mix and inviting up Peyton Parker to sing on a couple of tunes.  Peyton Parker has been on the current season of The Voice.   Next up was Charlie Whitten, who I saw a few weeks back, I once again was struck by his awesome songwriting, gentle good humor, and his whistling (which especially impresses me because I cannot really whistle).  Closing the night was Caleb Caudle who recently released Carolina Ghost to widespread acclaim. A great ending to a great night of music at a pretty pack out Basement.

It's Monday - I'm in Music City... let's do Music City Monday....

"Helpless" by Lindsay Ellyn

Lindsay Ellyn's EP Out of Road (one of my favorites of the year) was named Number 1 EP by Queens of Country. This is a great track from that EP.  Readers in New York City, Lindsay and Jeremy Nash (both Nashville songwriters who moved to town from NYC) will be playing at Rockwood Music Hall tonight, and I highly recommend both of them. 6:30p.m. to 8:30p.m. EDT.

"Feels Like Rain" by John Hiatt
 
John Hiatt moved to Nashville very early in the 1970s and been making incredible, ground-breaking music ever since. This is the final track from his 1988 album, Slow Turning. The song was later covered by the great Buddy Guy.


"Mockingbird" by Cory Chisel and the Wandering Sons
 
Cory Chisel moved to Nashville from Appleton, WI.  This song is from his 2009 album Death Won't Send a Letter.  I think I was first introduced to his music around this time when I saw the band open for Peter Case at 3rd and Lindsley. More recently he was nominated for a Grammy award for his co-write of the Rodney Crowell/Emmylou Harris song "The Travelling Kind". He also recently toured with Robert Ellis and Jonny Fritz as Traveller.


"Still With Me" by Charlie Hager
 
Among the events I regretfully missed during my brief convalescence at the end of last week was the CD release show for Charlie Hager's new album American Saga.  It sounds like it was an awesome night packed with tons of great artists.  I really hate that I missed it, but at least I get to hear the album, and it's out so you can hear it, too.  To me it is pure and honest songwriting at its best.
 

"You Could Be My Baby" by SHEL
 
This is a track that will be on SHEL's new album, Just Crazy Enough which is due out in May.  They will be playing the Safety Harbor Song Fest in a couple of weeks, and they are scheduled to play Nashville's Earth Day show later in April.  


"Fun Machine" by Colorfeels
 
This is another track from that Music the Film: Music City Underground.  Colorfeels were a Nashville band that broke up in 2014. I don't know much about them, except that I like this song and a bunch of my East Nashville friends were fans of the band.


"Speed Trap Town" by Jason Isbell
 
It's been pretty interesting to watch the meteoric rise of Jason Isbell over the past several years. I was lucky enough to see Isbell with the 400 Unit in the back parking lot of Grimey's a few years ago for Record Store Day.  There was a decent crowd, but nothing like what it would be today.  This is a track from his latest album, Something More Than Free which won the Grammy for Best Americana album. 



VIDEO PLAYLIST


 


No comments:

Post a Comment