Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Wild Wednesday Morning Shuffle - All the Way to Peter's Gate Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


I hesitate to report again about how awesome $2 Tuesdays are at The 5 Spot.  Derek Hoke and DJ Tim Hibbs throw a massive weekly party.  It cost you just $2 to get in and you can get Yazoo pints for just $2 all night.  I hesitate because it was packed out last night, and maybe enough people know about it... but hell.  For that $2, every single time I have gone, I have seen and heard some pretty amazing music.  Hell, $2 would be cheap just to hear Derek Hoke and his amazing band play a couple of songs.  Dead Horses from Wisconsin were awesome, Quinn from here in Nashville (and featuring E2TG Artist of the Year Jon Latham on guitar and BGVs) have an awesome sound.  Probably the only complaint I have (and I guess my age is showing) is that I left before the last band played and it was already midnight.  But, the young folks love it - ah, I remember... I remember...


Wednesday? What the hell is it?  Some call it hump day and celebrate having reached the mid-way through the work week, what does that say about us?  1. We are wishing our lives away and/or 2. We hate our week day existence so much and/or 3. We are optimists (I mean we would say we've toiled away for days and still have days of toil ahead).  Who knows? Wednesday are wild!  Wild used in the same way as "Jokers Wild".  Wednesday can be anything.  Or maybe wild used in the sense of wild!

Welcome to the first ever Wild Wednesday Shuffle.  Make sure your seatbelts are locked and loaded... or whatever...

Briefly,  I loaded this playlist with some of the more experimental songs I have on my phone.  Then, I counter-programmed with some older music, some outliers from past shuffles, some of the most unlikely songs in my phone, and then sprinkled in some stuff just 'cause.

Here goes nothing!

"Lucky" by The Dead Milkmen

How awesome!  The very first "Wild Wednesday" shuffle, randomly kicks off with The Dead Milkmen with a deep cut from Big Lizard in My Backyard. How lucky!

"Jesus Everyday" by Treat Her Right

How sad is it that this brilliantly satirical song could un-ironically be the campaign theme song for the top GOP candidate (whose name I refuse to mention)... Treat Her Right, as you may or may not know were a Boston-based blues rock band fronted by the late, great Mark Sandman who went on to front the band Morphine.  This is from the self-titled debut of the band which came out the year following The Dead Milkmen album mentioned above.

"Yr Hallway" by Youngstrr Joey

In the spirit of Wild Wednesday, we jump ahead about 30 years for this track from Glascow based - experimental musician, Youngstrr Joey from his album Grilled Wiig. And, yes all of those words are spelled as intended.

"Feels So Right" by Discount Ravioli

The debut from Discount Ravioli (Robin Schultz and the 21 Prayers) is a gift that keeps on giving. This is a favorite of mine from that album. The combo has just released yet another record (Ermilaw EP).  I guess it keeps the kids off the street. ;-)

"Dirty Cop" by Ricca Vita

Ricca Vita is an eclectic electronica project of Timothy Joe Ryssemus who co-produced the new Zachariah Red album, and who also has the best hair in Nashville. This EP is available on Noisetrade where it is currently "New and Notable".  Recommended to spice up your music collection.  

"Laundromat Song" by The Dead Milkmen

Wild!  Two songs from Big Lizard in My Backyard.  One of the coolest things garnered from posting this album is that I now follow Rodney Anonymous on Twitter, and his tweets are awesome.  I hope somebody on the new WXNA plays "Bitchin' Camaro" (I will if no one else will), because back in the day on the old WRVU, I must have heard that song a couple hundred times.

"Nothin'" by Townes Van Zandt

We finally wrap up the early live recording of Townes Van Zandt with this song which I like a bunch.

"B.N.G.F.K.R." by Smokey the Firebear

Six minutes of noise via the title track from Smokey the Firebear's noisy album.  To bad, I couldn't add this to the video playlist. 

"Clickin'" by Whistlin' Britches

Proving that noise is not limited to teenagers from Connecticut - this mouth noise track comes to us via Music Maker Relief Foundation. Haskel Thompson (known as Whistlin' Britches) passed away in 2011, and Music Maker Relief Foundation helped him to spread his unbridled joy with the world. 

"Out" by Mouth Reader

This final track from Mouth Reader's Hands EP has been hanging out in our playlist for several months. You may or may not recall that the EP was released on Record Store Day as a limited edition Playable pop-up book. Mouth Reader are from Murfreesboro, TN.

"Weather Report Suite"  by Lena Horne

I actually may need some help with this one.  This was an unlisted track on my friend Ronnie's annual mix CD.  According to Amazon Firefly, the track is as listed above.  I could not find this recording on You Tube, and my quick research created a bit of mystery for me.  The Grateful Dead have a 12 minute, 3-part song called Weather Report Suite, however, this track appears to be a cover of another Dead song called Franklin's Tower.  I hope either Ronnie or one of the Grateful Dead fans I know will shed some light.   Anyway, the track is awesome.  I did find it on Amazon (UK) and it is titled as above and playing a sample proves it to be song I have.  Either way, Lena Horne covering the Grateful Dead is a pretty darn cool thing. Since, I could not find a video of this, I posted Lena Horne doing "Stormy Weather" which is cool, but still not this... 



VIDEO PLAYLIST


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this enjoyable post

    ReplyDelete