Monday, April 25, 2016

Music City Monday Morning Shuffle - Broken Man in Flight Mix




Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


The E2TG 5th Anniversary Extravaganza coming May 18 @ The 5 Spot (East Nashville)

Welcome to the working week....

ICYMI - In just a few short weeks, we will be celebrating the 5th Anniversary of this blog with an amazing night of music and mayhem at The 5 Spot in East Nashville.  Musical performers will include: Julie Christensen, Sergio Webb, and Chris Tench (of Stone Cupid); BARK (2/3 of Tim Lee 3 from Knoxville), Adrian + Meredith, Patrick Kinsley and a Fistful of Dollars, and special guests all the way from Bethany, Connecticut - The Foresters.  Make you plans now to attend!


It is Monday  when we explore songs and artists that are somehow (at least in my mind) connected to THE Music City (aka Nashville, Tennessee). 


"Right Back To My Arms" by Amelia White

We start off the week with another song from one of my favorite albums of 2016, Amelia White's Home Sweet Hotel.  Amelia has a new video for her song, "Dog's Bark" - that song is still in our playlist - so I will hold off posting it here, but the video features my Double Shot co-host Sue Havlish along with Julie Christensen who will be at our Anniversary Show.  (I can't remember if I have mentioned the anniversary show???)

"The Cold Dark Nights" by Tom House

One of the things I love about Nashville are all of the incredibly talented musicians and songwriters who are also very colorful characters. Tom House is all of the above. I still think about the full-band show he did at The Basement a couple of months or so back.  And by full band, I'm talking 8 piece and who knows how many different instruments.  This is from his album, Songs Like Dreams... More Like Blood.

"Spaced Out and Blue" by David Schnaufer

The final song from the album, Dulcimer Sessions,  by the late Dulcimer master that I found at a thrift store a while back.  I could not find a video of this song, so I included one of Schnaufer backing up Emmylou Harris.  I don't think you will mind. 

"Crowville" by Kevin Gordon

Another track from Gordon's Long Gone Time album.  One of my favorite Nashville artists.

"Gone South" (Acoustic Roots version) by Mark Robinson

We were fortunate enough to premiere the video for the Electric Rock version of this two-sided single.  This one features Robinson and his always amazing band, Daniel Seymour and Justin Amaral  here backed by Richard Bailey (The Steeldrivers) on Banjo and Luke Amelang on backing vocals. I love this song!

"Philadelphia" by Hugh Mitchell

As far as I know, Hugh is still based out of Nashville, but he has been on the road non-stop for a long time.  I think maybe the last time I saw him was during Americana last September.  Soon after that, he graced me with some tracks he's been working on.  One of those song came up today, and it reminded me how much I dig his music. 

"See It For Yourself" by Sugar and the Hi Lows

Another great track from this all-star Nashville duo (Trent Dabbs and Amy Stroup). This song appears in ABC's Nashville and Pretty Little Liars.  A exceeding catchy and wonderful song.

"That's How Every Empire Falls" by RB Morris

We close things out with a song by Knoxville poet and songwriter R.B. Morris who appears in this playlist: 1. Because of his important role in the early 90s resurgence of Lower Broadway in Nashville. and 2. Because he will be in Nashville in May for a residency at The 5 Spot every Wednesday night. He is one of the this states greatest musical treasures, and I highly recommend that you see him live when you have the chance.  This song has been covered by both Marianne Faithfull and John Prine, but honestly, having seen him perform it a few times live, I think RB's version is my favorite out of all of those.   By the way, the E2TG Anniversary show will take place right after his May 18 residency show.  (Notice how I did that subtle self-promotion?)


VIDEO PLAYLIST



             

No comments:

Post a Comment