Thursday, May 5, 2016

Throwback Thursday Morning Shuffle - How We Wonder Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Less than two weeks until the E2TG 5 Year Anniversary Extravaganza!


Last night was a great night of music... 

It began with the opening night of the RB Morris residency at The 5 Spot with Jon Byrd opening.  Two super-talented songwriters/singers backed by amazing bands.  Next week, RB Morris' guests will be Lowell Levinger aka "Banana" of The Youngbloods and Tim Lee 3!  The following week 2/3 of Tim Lee 3 (aka BARK) will be part of the Ear to the Ground Anniversary show!

After the early show, I headed to The Country for Drew Kohl's 1 Year Anniversary show for his record, Sweetheart.  You may recall that I reviewed that album last year. The bill also included Kiely Schlesinger and Taylor Alexander.  Seeing all those folks and running into Jon Latham, I was reminded of an epic night in the fall of 2014 when I first heard all of those folks for the first time. 

Now, it is time for Throwback Thursday.  You know, when I started Ear to the Ground, I was struggling to get my hands on new music to feature, and so it was by necessity that I had tons of old songs (classics/rarities/whatever) in my playlist.  Today, I could probably keep a pretty decent sized playlist going with just new releases being sent my way.

So, you may ask, why keep loading old songs into your playlist?  It is pretty simple really. I believe that all music is connected in some way.  By playing both new and old songs, helps me to put new music into context and brings the connections into sharper focus.



"Linda Goes to Mars" by John Prine

The first of four live tracks in today's shuffle.  This one came off of a live album called Live in Asheville '86 which you can get over at Noisetrade. The song was off of his 1986 album German Afternoon. 

"Sweet Blue Cage" by Richard Barone

Next up - another live recording - this one from one of my favorite live albums of all time, Cool Blue Halo which was released in 1987.  A lovely record and a lovely song.

"Alright" by Blake Babies

Another Live album put out on Noisetrade, this one is from a 1989 show in Boston by The Blake Babies.

"Sam Stone" by John Prine

Another one from that John Prine live album.  This song was on his debut self-title album.  I should mention that some of my friends were at the Bonnie Raitt show at the Ryman last night and saw John Prine sing a couple with her.

"The Great Valerio" by Richard and Linda Thompson

The rest of the shuffle is made up of studio recordings from the 1970s and 80s. Beginning with this one of the classic 1974 album, I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight by Richard and Linda Thompson. This was the final song on that album.

"(We're Gonna) Shake Up Their Minds" by Marshall Crenshaw

Speaking of final.  We finish up our revisit of Marshall Crenshaw's excellent 1985 album, Downtown.  As I have mentioned before, this album brings back some very vivid sensory memories for me. I was in college when this came out and it occupied a spot in my car cassette player for some time and it brings up a hazy feeling of cool air and freedom like I would never know again.

"Life As A Rehearsal" by Minutemen

One more from Post-Mersh Vol. 1 which combined the first two albums by The Minutemen on one CD.  This was originally released on What Makes a Man Start Fires?

"Birth, School, Work, Death" by The Godfathers

This is the title track from the 1988 album by British band, The Godfathers.  It came to my attention - I believe - during the early post-college era of my life. It kind of spoke to the nihilistic feelings I had about the future... What is life? Birth, School, Work, Death.  I was half way through life and just had Work and Death to look forward to...

VIDEO PLAYLIST



No comments:

Post a Comment