Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Trending Tuesday Morning Shuffle - Dream Mix




Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


To be honest, my heart is still hurting from the senselessness of the shooting in Orlando. As the story continues to unfold, the bottom line is that 49 innocent people lost their lives and that hate and fear seem to have been the motivating factor(s) behind the attack. This world makes it hard to be an optimist, but I still believe that the only answer to hate and fear is love (not more hate and fear). Which does not mean that I am or should be (as a human being) free from either of those emotions.  What I hope is that love (and not hate or fear) will the be the thing that guides my actions.
=====================================================================

We have music...  It is Tuesday which means we shuffle songs from the Trending Tuesday playlist...


"San Antone" by Mike June

I continue to be impressed by the solid songwriting on Mike June's album, Poor Man's Bible.  Highly recommended.

"The Nearness of You (Red Garland)" by Darryl Purpose

Darryl Purpose's latest album, Still the Birds is a remarkable record that I hope to be able to write more about soon.  I am still absorbing it now.  This track is simply gorgeous.  "The Nearness of You" was a song written Hoagy Carmichael and Ned Washington.  It was covered by the legendary jazz pianist Red Garland (known for his work with Miles Davis among many others).  This track references the song and the pianist.  A nice accompaniment to my morning drive. 

"The Last Ride (Requiem for a W115)" by Balu and Die Surfgrammeln

More Austrian surf music from Los Chicharrones Del Surf. Nice to have a surf music break in the middle of my shuffle.  I dig this band. 

"Sacred Ways" by Exedra

We have a short instrumental (and opening track) from the album Elemental by Exedra which is one of several projects by Jeremy Gluck who I was first introduced to via his Memory Deluxe: I Knew Buffalo Bill  Part II which was a follow up to the cult classic I Knew Buffalo Bill which featured Gluck along side Jeffrey Lee Pierce, Nikki Sudden and others.   This is far more ethereal music which took me from my drive into my short walk today. 

"All I Have to Do is Dream" by Jesse and Noah

This was the song (and the video from CXCW '14) that first introduced me to Jesse and Noah. The harmonies here are nothing sort of spectacular. The song is a cover of a Felice and Boudleaux Bryant song which was made famous by The Everly Brothers who were no slouches in the harmonizing department.  Look for new music from Jesse and Noah soon, I hope.  The new single, which we featured a little while back was just recently released. And, I was just reading that they will be at Derek Hoke's $2 Tuesday at The 5 Spot tonight.  So good timing for this track.

"Get Beat Down" by Tom House

And we close out the shuffle with a track from Nashville songwriter Tom House and his latest album Songs Like Dreams...More Like Blood.  Great stuff.


VIDEO PLAYLIST

No comments:

Post a Comment