Friday, August 5, 2016

Featured Friday Morning Shuffle - What They Call Punk Rock Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Whew! It is FRIDAY!  I have to say, I have had a pretty difficult week - only partially due to coming back from a week off last week.  I am happy for the weekend to be here, and I am really looking forward to getting back on the radio with my dear friend Sue Havlish.  Tune in tomorrow from 11-1pm (Central Time) on WXNA (101.5FM in Nashville and streaming live at wxnafm.org world-wide.
Our theme this week in "Animal Kingdom", and you can expect to hear some music by some E2TG favorites as well as other great songs.

I caught a super hot show last night at the original Basement (located four flights of stairs below to WXNA studios).  When I say it was hot, I mean both the music and the temperatures. Darrin Bradbury opened with some favorites and some sneak peaks of an album is currently working on.  The stars of the night were definitely Andrew Leahey and the Homestead who are releasing their new album Skyline in Central Time today. Leahey and his excellent band sweated through a rocking set. Singer songwriter, Bill Eberle closed the show with an excellent set.  Eberle was backed by a stellar band that featured Dave Coleman on guitar as well as members of Sad Baxter.  I think we all lost about ten pounds in the sauna, but it was totally worth it.

Onward, to a week-closing Featured Friday shuffle


"E.N.S.A.A.T." by Aaron Lee Tasjan

We start with one of my favorite ALT songs from In the Blazes. East Nashville Song About a Train. It is filled with biting wit and wisdom, and it is a pretty darn accurate few of the pitfalls of a musical "genre" gaining steam (metaphor intended). 

"Candy" by Pony Girl

I continue to be really impressed by the music of this Canadian band.  From the album, Foreign Life. 

"The Last Days of Rome" by Jason P. Krug

The Zen of Losing is JPK's stunning solo album and a raw, powerful meditation on loss in all of its forms and contexts. The Last Days of Rome may be the soundtrack from our dying empire. Dire and dour though the sentiments are - the music here is rocking and moving.  I once wrote a story called Dancing at the End of the World - in the unlikely event that story ever gets made into a film, this song simply must be on the soundtrack. 

"Long Weekend" by Saint Luke's Drifters

I cannot believe this is our first listen to Trials and Tribulations - the wonderful new album by "Rockified Country" band, Saint Luke's Drifters.  The song was written by band member Mitch Laney, and the album was mixed by Eric Ambel (Del-Lords etc.). The music is a worthy addition to the long line of great rocking/countryish bands like Georgia Satellites and Jason and the Scorchers. They are based in nearby Watertown, Tennessee. 

"Pining" by Parker Millsap

East Nashville by way of Tulsa, Oklahoma. From the album, The Very Last Day. "Pining" is infectiously groovy music. 

"She's So Steady" by 2 Ton Bridge

The new album from 2 Ton Bridge (aka Alexander Wright) is due out September 2.  I just got my hands on it, and I am loving it so far.  The album was produced by Marvin Etzioni (Lone Justice) and features a ton of great guests.  2 Ton Bridge will be in Nashville for Americana Fest, and I hope to see him around that week. 

"If You Got The Time I Got The Love" by Strange Majik

Another great one from Raised on Rock 'n' Roll by this former member of The Dead Exs.  I wrote a review of this album earlier in the year, and I stand by assessment. The album manages to encapsulate the history of rock 'n' roll in into a sound that is fresh and exciting. 

"I'll Fly Away" by Elouise

The lead track from Deep Water.  A rollicking, yet dark cover of the 1930s penned hymn. Elouise definitely make the song their own. Listen for a Elouise song on Double Shot tomorrow. 

"The Ghost of The Thrill" by Black Severn

And we close with a track from the self-titled album from Bristol, UK band Black Severn. This, like Elouise, is dark Americana influenced music - but Black Severn takes that darkness in a totally different way.  


VIDEO PLAYLIST



No comments:

Post a Comment