Friday, September 23, 2016

Featured Friday Morning Shuffle - The Sun's Alive Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Well - about seven and half hours of live music last night...  Mark Robinson Showband and Rhythm Revue with guests David Olney and RB Morris was as spectacular as I expected.  With bullhorns, Robinson's always amazing guitar playing, and the whole company doing "Stagger Lee"  duet style with Olney (with bullhorn) and Morris trading vocals.

After studying the schedule and weighing the options some of which involved multiple trips across the river and back, I decided to just set down roots at The Basement East for AMA night. I had a little time before that, so I joined some friends to catch Tim Carroll, Luella, Cameron Carrus, with David Strayer on drums.  It was like a partial reunion of the old Fran's Eastside days.

When I finally made my way to The Beast, I ran into more friends and got to meet the one and only Mojo Nixon!  I have heard at Americana to enjoy what you decide to do and not overthink the things you are passing up.. so in that spirit.... Bottle Rockets were incredible and they brought out special guest Eric Ambel for a couple of songs.  Next up was Grant Lee Phillips who I had never seen live before.  I really dug his set.   Next was John Paul White with special guests The Secret Sisters.  I have not really had the chance to dig into White's recent work, but I was really impressed by this set.  I was starting to fade a bit during his set, but it did not have anything to do with the music.

I managed to drink some water and move a little and then moved closer to the stage for Brian Wright's night closing set.  He had Aaron Lee Tasjan playing guitar and a great band backing  him, and it was every bit as good a set as I could ever imagine. His special guests were Ladie Gun Club, and the sit included the band gathered around one mic - like they do on the Opry...  Wright's set closing, "Glory Hallelujah" was everything you want a closing number to be.

So, tonight... I am trying to wrap up things at work - so the shuffle post may be quick... Jill Kettles and Rodney Metroyer are hosting  an unofficial AMA event this afternoon with Marvin Etzioni, Brian Langlinais (remember that name as the shuffle proceeds) and more.  Bloodshot Records is throwing a party in the back yard of The Groove record store - with Lydia Loveless, Bottle Rockets, Robbie Fulks, and Cory Branan.  Plus, Tim Carroll Rock and Roll Happy Hour has been moved up one hour.  But, my night will be centered on The Station Inn. WXNA is hosting tonight's AMA showcases (and tomorrow night, too). Tonight, I will be hanging out with Richie Owens and Howard Yearwood from Wagon Wheel, and one of my tasks is to get to introduce Syd Straw! and talk about WXNA!

Also, Aaron Lee Tasjan is at Cannery Ballroom, Zach Schmidt is at ACME, and and and....

Featured Friday shuffle ahead...


"Nighttime" by Si Cranstoun

We begin with yet another track from Si Cranstoun's Old School album.  

"Fax Message Breakup (AUWs Obsessive Perfection Remix)" by Rodney Cromwell

Since it Americana week, I thought about making a joke about how Rodney Crowell really changed his style... but no, this is actually a British electronic/indie pop band. My first listen, but I like this. 
"Bad Intention and A Bit of Cruelty" by Wendy James

Next up - Wendy James - formerly of Transvision Vamp - This is the b-side to her latest single Indigent Blues. I think maybe I previously posted about the radio edit of this track. 

"Settle Down, Son" by J.R. Wyatt

Next how about Nashville singer-songwriter J.R. Wyatt with a great song from his latest Staying Gold. 

"One Desire" by Brian Langlinais

I told you Brian Langlinais would be back in this post. This is our first post about his brand new album Right Hand Road. Langlinais is from South Louisiana, and he is possibly a distant relative of mine - I have Langlinais in my family tree. As I mentioned above, you can head to Drifter's in East Nashville - right about now for the show I mentioned above and hear Brian live.  More about this album soon!

"Beyond" by The Gypsy West

Next a really great track from Modern Atlas by long time E2TG favorites The Gypsy West. 

"Theo" by Pony Girl
And to close out - another awesome track from Foreign Life by Canadian band, Pony Girl. 

VIDEO PLAYLIST

No comments:

Post a Comment