Thursday, October 20, 2016

Throwback Thursday Morning Shuffle - Don't Tell Andy, Don't Tell Aunt Bee Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

I logged on to Facebook this morning to read about the passing of Chris Porter and a band mate in an auto accident last night on their way home from a show. Another band member was in serious condition last I heard.  I did not know Chris well, but several of my musician friends did, and my heart goes out to all who are feeling this loss today. And to all my touring musician friends, be safe.

What comes to my mind is a $2 Tuesday show earlier this year. I was really tired, and I had about decided to pack it in before the last act played. Jon Latham said, you really don't want leave, and he told me that Chris and his band were going to play. So, I stayed, and Porter did an amazing kickass rock and roll set that woke me up good and proper.  I am really glad I stayed.
*
*
*
*
*
Really dug the second night of Crackerboot's Residency at The 5 Spot. Luella, Bill DeMain and company sounded amazing.  It was great to see and hear Ben de la Cour and William Lee who opened.

Throwback Thursday shuffle is up next...




"The Last Forever" by Shadow 15

Possibly my favorite Shadow 15 song... or at least the one I know best because it was included on the City Without a Subway compilation benefit album for WRVU that I have listened to about a million times or so. 

"Crosstown Traffic" by The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Appropriate for a morning commute. From Electric Ladyland. 

"Birdland" by Patti Smith

Nine minutes of Patti Smith at her very best off of the classic album Horses. 

"Rush Hour" by Drivin' N' Cryin'

Coincidentally in the same shuffle with Crosstown Traffic... another from Fly Me Courageous.  

"Roller" by April Wine

So, my story here is that when I was a young teenager, I was starting to be interested in music beyond what was being played on the Top 40 Pop station, and being a bit of a loner, I listened to some of my brother's records, and among my favorites at that time were his April Wine records. Hard rock music that was fun to air guitar, too. Later, I got into more alternative/punk/new wave music and convinced myself that other music wasn't "cool".  Fast-forward, and I go back and listen, and this is really good stuff. I think so, anyway. 

"Type" by Living Colour

The same Goodwill shopping trip that netted me Fly Me Courageous, also added Time's Up the 1990 second album by Living Colour. I saw Living Colour at Vanderbilt some time in the early 90s with Urban Dance Squad opening. Great show. 

"Me 'N' Opie (Down By The Duck Pond)" by BR549

Also among my purchases at Goodwill that day was Live from Robert's (Robert's Western World on Broadway in Nashville).  At midnight, the band sang the story of the lost episode of The Andy Griffith Show that involved "illicit drug use and sexual deviancy". This was the band's first release with Arista Records. 


VIDEO PLAYLIST

No comments:

Post a Comment