Monday, January 23, 2017

Music City Monday Morning Shuffle - Late Night Drunk Dialogues Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


First of all, let me state for the record... "Alternative facts" is  just an Orwell way to say "Outright Lies".  That's not political. That's just truth.

Second of all, my despair of recent times was helped along by the news streaming in from all over the world of the women (and men) marching in unity for the rights of all,

I try to keep E2TG a politics-free zone, but I am watching and I will speak-up when necessary. In my opinion, we are experiencing the greatest threat to our democracy I have seen in my lifetime (or at least since I have been aware of such things).  I am staunchly what I am, but I am not one that believes that "my side" has a monopoly on the truth or has all the answers.  I feel the place we are now goes beyond "Right vs. Left" "Conservative vs. Liberal" "Democrat vs. Republican".  History will judge, and I feel that in standing against fascism and hate and fear and xenophobia and racism and sexism and homophobia that I am standing on the right side of history.

Now, back to our normal programming.  It is Monday and we have a fine line-up of great Nashville-based music spanning the last 30+ years.   Let's go!


"Bismarck" by Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck remains one of my favorite Nashville writers.  Not only that, but he is a tireless champion of his fellow writers.  Saturday night, I got to see him hosting one of a few songwriters' nights - this one in Germantown at Bearded Iris (which included another local fave - Lindsay Ellyn), and I got to hear him perform this song about his home state of North Dakota. 

"Angel Network" by Cletus Kennelly and Lori Kelley

Cletus and Lori were a popular D.C. area duo for many years. They are included because Lori Kelley moved to Nashville a few years back. I got to see the duo perform here in town a couple of years ago.  This is from their album Lotus - that I picked up the night I saw them play. 

"Temporary" by The Movement

My interest in Nashville music goes back to the mid 1980s. At that time, there was a rumbling and a bunch of young bands pushing against tradition and the industry machine and perhaps unknowingly paving the way for a some of the incredible non-Music Row music being made today - and certainly they laid the groundwork for the non-country bands that make Nashville truly Music City!  The Movement was one of my favorite bands from that era. Lead by Richie Owens - who is still making great music with Richie Owens and the Farm Bureau and Smoky White Devils. The song was included on the band's self-titled EP on Owens' own NEO Records label. The video is for a different song - supposedly recorded at their first show - about a year before I saw them at Cat's Records opening for Jason and the Scorchers. 

"90 Miles an Hour Down a Dead-End Street" by Tommy Womack

One of the best moments of a Tommy Womack show if when he does this song. One time at the Family Wash, the band left the stage - got drinks at the bar and then returned to the stage just in time to kick off the next song. As Tommy says, "This is a true story".  Thankfully, he survived.  This is from his album, Now What? that includes a photo of Tommy in a Keith Richards for President t-shirt that was given to him my the father of 2015 E2TG Artist of the Year Jon Latham.  (now you know)

"Nashville Skyline Redux" by Reckless Johnny Wales

While I believe it is an exciting time to be a music fan in Nashville, it is equally to that this is a city fighting to hold onto its identity in the face of unprecedented growth. Reckless Johnny Wales as a unique perspective on this state of the city and in this song from his brand new album, 5-Star Meat and 3, he speaks to that. 

"All of Nothing" by Shadow 15

Another band, I really dug back in the day, was Shadow 15 - who came down on the punkier side of the "new music" movement.  The band released a compilation album in 2009, and it has been a joy to discover and rediscover their music here in 2017.

"Fire and Brimstone" by Indigenous Engines

This is the final track we have from this recording project of Andrew Adkins. He released two simultaneous EPs under this name - Witches and (the one that this track is on) Werewolves.   Andrew Adkins has been more recently making music under his own name, and he teased a big announcement on Facebook this morning. You can be sure E2TG will be on top of this developing story.   

"Heartbreaker's Lane" by Tom Schreck

How about another Tom Schreck song? Don't mind if I do!  Both songs today are from his first album Outsider.  

"Ride Along" by John Hiatt

And we close things out with a track from Slow Turning by the great John Hiatt.  Hiatt came to Nashville in the early 1970s and has been making great music ever since.

VIDEO PLAYLIST


No comments:

Post a Comment