Thursday, March 23, 2017

Topical Thursday Morning Shuffle - Say What I Have to Say Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

So - I'm gonna let today's shuffle do the talking...

but, I do want to report on another long but excellent night of music at The 5 Spot in East Nashville.

D.L. Duncan continued his month-long residency playing some great blues-based music. First playing accompanied by a snare drum - and then by a full-band including a wonderful horn section.  Duncan was joined for several songs by the legendary guitarist Jack Pearson.

The late show featured several favorites of mine beginning with Taylor Alexander - back by Jess Perkins on pedal steel, then Rocky Bottom, the always incredible Rayvon Pettis, and The Big Dumb - featuring Javi Jones and Anna Joy Harris.  I had never seen Javi in this setting, and I have to say I loved it.

Tonight, the Smoky White Devils wrap up their residency with guest Ted Drozdowki's Scissormen (next Thursday will be the 25th Anniversary of Richie Owens and the Farm Bureau.)

Onward to Topical Thursday on E2TG.  I really should write this disclaimer and save it and copy and paste each week... but here goes...

I selected a topic (its a a very loose topic) and I went through my list of songs and picked out songs that fit (seemed to fit) or at least struck me in the moment of selection as fitting the topic. I created a playlist with those songs, and every Thursday I randomly shuffle up songs from that playlist. At some point, I may change the topic.

Rule/Disclaimers:  I do not expressly state what the topic is nor do I explain why a particular song fits.  I am not in any way implying nor should you infer that the songs' writers would intend or necessarily approve of their song being applied to this topic. All connections are (or were) in my head. I also will not confirm nor deny if you  try to guess the topic.  Just sit back - enjoy and let you own mind make the connections (or not);



"Bad Things" by rayLand Baxter

Nashville musician rayLand Baxter is up first with a song from his 2013 album Ashkelon.  Baxter is the son of musician Bucky Baxter - who has played on albums by Steve Earle, R.E.M., Bob Dylan and more. 

"Be Safe Goodbye" by The All-About
Next up, we have the title track from the 2016 album by this New York band that is part of the Mama Coco's collective.  The band is lead and the songs are all written by Zac Coe. In one of those weird coincidences, I had an Instagram exchange last night with Zac Coe - who posted a video/picture of Aaron Lee Tasjan at Mercury Lounge.  You'd almost think I planned this song coming up, but no - the song was already in the playlist and the shuffle just happened to bring it up. 

"The End" by Well Worn Soles

Next - a track from Florida duo -Well Worn Soles off their album Country/Folk. Some heavy Nashville connections here. 

"Bad Man" by Cory Branan

Speaking on Nashville - next we have Nashville's own Cory Branan with a track from his 2012 album Mutt. 

"Do What I Have to Do" by Phil Ochs

I have to be honest, there is a part of me that wishes that Phil Ochs' songs were still so damned relevant in 2017.  But, here we are and these words still ring true.  Do What You Have to Do. 

"Evening News" by Cee Lo

Cee Lo from his 2004 second solo album - Is the Soul Machine. This track features Chazzie and Sir Cognac the Conversation) - produced by DJ Premiere of Gang Starr.

"Fascist" by Minutemen

Taken from the Post-Mersh Vol. 3 compilation.  Originally released on the 1980 debut EP by punk/post punk legends Minutemen. Written by the late D. Boon. 

"I Pity the Poor Immigrant" by Taj Mahal

We close with a topical cover of Bob Dylan's song from John Wesley Harding. This cover was included on the 2012 compilation Hidden Treasures of Taj Mahal. This was a previously unreleased studio track recorded between 1969 and 1973.





No comments:

Post a Comment