Thursday, April 20, 2017

Topical Thursday Morning Shuffle - Ain't Democracy Wonderful Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


Busy, busy...   Went out to see Jon Byrd and Byrd's Auto Parts at The 5 Spot. Really great set. Cool tunes, a great band. Wendy Newcomer joined Byrd to sing a few songs.  Great hang. Talked a little to Don Gallardo who shared some updates about his next album. This makes me really excited.

It is Thursday - time to head back to my Topical Thursday playlist of songs that thematically or titular-wise fit a loosely defined and unexplained topic of my creation.  The connections are in my mind only and really this is mostly an excuse to play some really cool tunes.  Read what you want into my selections, but I do not mean to imply that any of these artists mean for their songs to be interpreted how I did.




"Bitter End" by J.R. Wyatt

Staying Gold was one my favorite albums of 2016.  J.R. Wyatt is one of my favorite Nashville songwriters despite the fact that I never recognize him when I run into him around town.
"Lost in America" by Phil Rudd

From J.R. Wyatt to the former drummer from AC/DC.  This is a track from his album Head Job - which I was lucky enough to get to preview before it was released last year. 

"Here Comes President Kill Again" by XTC

Oranges and Lemons was XTC's eleventh studio album when it was released in 1989. It's a favorite of mine - but several XTC albums are favorites of mine, too. 

"Cold Feelings" by Social Distortion

Moving on, we have the lead off track from Social Distortions 1992 album Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell. This is one of Social Distortions best selling albums. I dig it. 

"Worn Out Lies" by Tipi Valley

Tipi Valley is a one-man studio band from Swansea which is a coastal city in Wales.  He has been an E2TG favorite from our earliest days. This track goes back to his 2012 release Beautiful Sunrise. Tipi Valley doesn't release YouTube Videos, but if you want to catch up with his music - he, handily, released a compilation of his work in January which you can get via Bandcamp.  His style has varied from album to album, but I always dig his songs.


"The Intense Humming of Evil" by Manic Street Preachers

Speaking of Wales, we move on with a track from The Holy Bible by Manic Street Preachers.  The song was written after the band visited the site of two concentration camps (or holocaust centers if you prefer...).  

"The Truth" by Josh Hyde

We close with some truth from Josh Hyde and his most recent album The Call of the Night.  The album was recorded in Hyde's home state of Louisiana and features some Nashville musicians. 


No comments:

Post a Comment