Monday, July 31, 2017

Music City Monday Morning Shuffle - Sh*t Motel Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


So much on my mind....  Thinking about people hurting and dealing with losses.  I rather glibly posted last week about emerging from a "blue funk", but I have known depression and depression is much more than a "blue funk". It's often not something one can just "get over" or "think about all the good things" to overcome. Like other forms of mental illness it is just that - an illness. Same with addiction. We use the terms addicted, addiction, addict rather casually about our obsessions with our phones or Facebook or various game.  And while things like that CAN rise to the level of addiction - the are usually just bad habits. I think people who can overcome bad habits with will-power or some variant of that - fail to understand and with addiction - at some point the power to make those choices goes away.  Lectures, discussions of consequences, reminds of what can and will be lost - all those are bound to fail.

There is hope, though, for addiction and mental illness. I have had my dark moments - really dark, and I am fortunate enough to have lived to see the light. Not everyone is that fortunate.

I don't always know what I should do or say... For now, I'll just offer a light, extend a hand, and play some music....

****

I do need to give a shout out to Mark Robinson for his excellent CD Release Show Saturday. My daughter and I had a great time.  If you haven't done so, get a copy of his new CD, Live at The 5 Spot. You'll thank me later for the tip.


It is Monday, and we shuffle up some locally sourced music from our "Music City" playlist.




"Like a Train" by Paul Burch

We begin with a fellow WXNA DJ, and long time Nashville favorite Paul Burch from his 2009 album Still Your Man. This is the opening track from that album.  I always love it when I get to see Paul Burch perform.

"Still Want To Be With You" by Tom Schreck

Also from 2009, we have the Nashville debut album from one our favorite local songwriters.  Tom Schreck calls himself the Nashville Outsider, and he consistently writes and performs great songs. 

"Show Not Tell" by Kristen Englenz

Next we have Nashville by way of Georgia singer-songwriter Kristen Englenz. I saw her perform this song last week at The 5 Spot.  You may recall she played the second week of the E2TG Residency.  Great to see she is getting some well-deserved attention here in Music City and very happy to do my park.

"Can't Stay Young" by Tim Carroll

Is this my theme song, or do I just wish it was?  And what is it with 2009 and today's shuffle? From his 2009 album All Kinds of Pain.  One of East Nashville's best, Tim Carroll.  "You can't stay young, but you can stay cool."

"Old Time Country Song" by Applewood Road

From 2009 to 2017... we have another excellent track from the Applewood Road album.  Recorded here in Nashville and featuring the multi-talented Amy Speace, Emily Barker, and Amber Rubarth, the whole album is filled with stunning vocal harmonies.  Easily one of my favorites of 2017.

"Augusta" by Pinmonkey

Going back to 2002, we have a track from the self-titled album by Nashville country band Pinmonkey.  This song was written by Nashville songwriter Gwil Owen and features Ricky Skaggs on Mandolin.

"Elmwood Park" by Darrin Bradbury

In honor of Elmwood Park: A Slightly Melodic Audiobook being released on Spotify for your streaming pleasure... we have 2014 E2TG Artist of the Year and our most tagged artist ever, Darrin Bradbury.  He will be playing some songs out at Dee's tonight. Elmwood Park was released last year on Cafe Rooster Records. 

"The Living Daylights" by Mike Younger


And we close things out with a track from one of our most recent albums in our collection - Mike Younger's latest Little Folks Like You and Me was just released a couple of weeks ago. I definitely recommend checking it out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment